Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #21
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Hi guys,

I've bought a simple 24hr timer last night at $13, but it didn't work properly. Wondering what have I done wrong.

This is not the actual photo, but roughly how it looks like (i.e. with a wheel):

On the side of the device, there is a 'I' symbol and a clock symbol below it, and a slider, but there is no ON/OFF symbols.

Can anyone enlighten me how I can set my timer to turn on from 2pm to 12midnight?

Thanks again.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #22
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

By the way, mine is one with a turning wheel (not like in the picture, which allows toggling of individual switch).

Does the kind of switch I bought only allows for shutting off at a certain time or allows for both switching on and off?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #23
RHX

The one I got is from ikea, quite similar. The wheel indicates the hour of the day you want the light to be on. The arrow indicates the direction where it will turn. Turn the wheel to the current time. Just push tabs on the side when you want the light to be on on that time frame. The clock symbol should be the switch when you want it to operate according to timer. The I symbol should be the on switch.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #24
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Thanks for the tips.

After I got home, only did I know those small little 'tabs' can be pushed down. I was so blur...

Now it's working! I'll try implementing the Seista timing to minimise algae growth.
Old 15-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #25
mtanec

many people didnt realise the important for red light and even blue lights.. many only care about getting their plant to grow fast or only to get it to bubble..

for plant to really unleash its full potential, a full range of light spectrum is required.. this is to simulate the natrual sunlight.. and some professional even alter the light brightness with various color spectrum to match the rising sun and setting sun.. result - slower growth but quality plants with bright colors and at the right size..

quality.. how do we define that? a quality plant is not one that just produce bubble.. or not one that is overgrown in size or height.. but one that brings out the beauty and characteristic of that plant.. say a red plant will show the actual degree of redness at the correct size.. thats being natural and nice.. for example, red tiger lotus.. I can get it to produce leaf at the size of a dinner plate.. but beauty of this plant is not about the size but color and texture of the leaf.. at dinner plate size, the texture become rough and the red is not as nice due to the thickness of the leaf.. at that size, the plant became very tough and stiff, making it look so fake in the tank.. the leaf should be thin that is able drift with the wave of the water yet glowing with redness.. that's the beauty of this plant... see where I am coming from?

bright lights is only good for plants that looks good when over grown.. plants like moss.. they only reveal their beauty when overgrown..

cheers.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
Noel

8 hours will do and trim the decaying leaves.