Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 06-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
chucklee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerson View Post
From what I see. The pump to right side chamber may face problem.

The water travelling from the underground gravel may not be sufficient to fill the chamber at to the main tank. This will happens once your underground gravel are filled up with fish poo.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Hi,
Ya I do consider abt the "outflow" from the gravel. To avoid that. Maybe coarse river sand, maybe around 3mm size gravel to be used.
If the "outflow" unable to met the demand of the pump area water volume. Likely the incoming water from main tank will bypass the gravel compartment and direct toward the pump. As u can see, I some how indicate that the glass partition between the gravel compartment is leveled.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
chucklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Amerson
Arofanatic

Just wondering for the whole sump tank. Are u going to get anyone to construct it? May I know which company is able to provide such customization?

Amerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #13
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Bro, for me I think outflow is definitely a problrm if u choose a strong pump. Other than outflow problem, you may face algae problem too. If algae really bloom, it will further deteriorate your outflow. Moreover I think ecosand is not just normal sand and gravels. Just my 2 cents.
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #14
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Btw what is your idea water level at the centre compartment and the last compartment? What happen when the sponge clog, the water level in these 2 conpartments will be in a mess and your pump may damage if insufficient of water occurs, depending on your initial water level sets.
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:18 AM   #15
Amerson
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Btw what is your idea water level at the centre compartment and the last compartment? What happen when the sponge clog, the water level in these 2 conpartments will be in a mess and your pump may damage if insufficient of water occurs, depending on your initial water level sets.
This is what I am saying in my previous post. Hahaha

When a sponge clog no water will be able to permit. There is no way he can wash it as it is sitting at the bottom of the sand. This is double the problem.

The plant will all die because they are constantly struggling to get enough nutrients in the gravel. This is why no aquascaper will ever implement a UGF in planted tank. This makes triple the kill.

When the plant is having problem then it will die. And the root will rot and contaminate the water further. Your water will turn yellow due to plant decay.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #16
Vitor
Dragon

well I am thinking ur gravel soil might choke over time and ur pump area water level become low. as water flow too slow.

then again, if u are thinking of using seachem nitrate or matrix like media.
then ok. but u are likely put them in mesh bags to make life easier

thus me if u got big fish like aros... 1 yr from 6" become 12" then 16"
and up.... u wont even wanna try to catch them , last is frighten them or break a pect fin when they are big. or scare them to death.
and every yr? break ur back likely.

if want get better media. use like norm sump design.
the only think I always no like... be it sump or IOUS system.
I will want to have a overflow path. from 1st to the last cmpt...
if say a week or 2 not at home... it starts to less flowing thru the white wool ... then up a certain height it will dump water to the pump.

1) still filter but less and slower.
2) overflow to pump so water at last cmpt wont drop to super low height.
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
chucklee
Arofanatic

Hi all,
The result the idea of the design come to my mind is base on the 2 types of setup.

1) have sand/gravel with plant at sump tank. Some people named this type of setup as refugium. Maybe I got it wrong.
Below is the pic I got from www.fishlore.com
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fi...-question.html

2)having the water passes thru the grav then to the return pump. Is from the company. Their website is
http://ecosandsystem.com.sg/

There once I happen to come across the refugium is from one of my lfs. Although the lfs didn't use the setup as a sump. But I believe the tank is from a used sump tank. The "sump tank" is used as selling/displaying water plant.
Below is

Thanks for viewing.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Amerson
Arofanatic

Chucklee the drawing that you are showing is more realistic. As the plants do not need to compete for nutrients in the soil. Thus the plants can live longer.

But do not over crowed with plant as the need sufficient sunlight to photosynthesis. If you over crowed the plants, those in the middle will not get enough sunlight and rot. Then your water parameter will drop. This is something to consider.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #19
Zhuoyuting
Dragon

Water didn't past thru can't get enough filtration.. Stick with the old sump can't go wrong.
Zhuoyuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #20
chucklee
Arofanatic

I believe there no such thing as enough when comes to filtration for aquarium. Be it mechanical or biological filtration.

The key thing is, how to create the best filtration with low cost and low demand in electricity usage.

Furthermore, at the last compartment between the gravel and the pump. I even consider of input a section of algae screen filter.

Image I got it from
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...-Summary/page3

Guess this will polish the water more clear and at the same time minimise the occurring of green water.

Thanks