Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 23-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Svampus
Arofanatic

Default Barramundi sick, help!

i've had my barramundi for maybe 2 years now, he has grown from around 40 to 60cm+. Been eating mostly different kind of fish and shrimps, temp always around 25-27C. 100% freshwater. He always comes up to the front glass to beg for food when i get close to the tank, and is always first to eat. But the last couple of days he has been pretty inactive, has not eaten when i feed, and also has his fins along with his body. Not out and "waving" like most times. My RTGG has been a bit aggressive against him some times and he get scratches every now and then, but it has not affected his behavior or eating habits... Right now he has some scratches. All other fish is eating and behaving fine, i really doubt that the water is bad in any way...

But, is it possible that when barramundis grow to a certain size they NEED a bit of salt or maybe even brackish / saltwater to continue living? Please, if someone know or have any ideas / tips of articles or anything write it here! I really don't wanna loose this fish
Svampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Crazy Pacu
Dragon

No, it is not necessary for barramundi to have brackish conditions. There are huge barramundis more than 100cm in freshwater impoundments in Australia.
Crazy Pacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Svampus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pacu View Post
No, it is not necessary for barramundi to have brackish conditions. There are huge barramundis more than 100cm in freshwater impoundments in Australia.
Okay, then there has to be another problem... Gonna do another big water change later today and try feeding a lot, and se if he reacts. Thanks for your answer!
Old 23-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Saphere
Dragon

Is it breathing heavily?
Saphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Svampus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphere View Post
Is it breathing heavily?
No, not that i've noticed. He has cloudy eyes now though.. But today he reacted when i threw some fish fillets in the tank at least, but he did not eat..
Old 25-09-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
Svampus
Arofanatic

it looks like his vision is really bad. He notice when i put my hand over the tank like usual, but he does not strike on the fish/shrimp i feed with. he did strike twice, but both times were at another fish, i think it was because they swam right over his head and they shined a bit so he thought it was food. Both eyes are really cloudy, but other than that he seems almost better. Like how he swims and so, the fins are not as clamped as they were yesterday. I've been changing 50% water everyday for 3 days now, and also i cleaned one of the canister filters. I had a big plastic tank that i could put him in with much oxygen in the water and salt, but a friend is borrowing it currently (suuuuuper bad timing....). I have not seen any aggression against him in the last days, and he has not got any more wounds. But i think i will separate the aggressive ones soon any how...

This is how he looks now.
Old 28-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
takanori
Senior Dragon

Cloudy eyes means your water got issue already.
takanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Svampus
Arofanatic

i've changed 50% water every day since i posted this thread, and he's looking better and better every day. His eyes are not that cloudy any more (still a bit cloudy though), and his wounds are healing good. But he has got some fungus on the big wound though, but i noticed that from last night to today it looks a lot better. Going to continue the water changes, if the fungus does not disappear within 2 days or something i will buy salt. (6kg at least )Thanks for all the tips and advice guys, will update as he gets better.
Old 29-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Amanda Liong
Arofanatic

I agree with bro takanori. The bottom right catfish seems to have some cloudy eye issue too. Good luck bro. Is he better now?
Amanda Liong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #10
Svampus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Liong View Post
I agree with bro takanori. The bottom right catfish seems to have some cloudy eye issue too. Good luck bro. Is he better now?
I actually noticed today that half of every fish in the tank had some kind of fungus on them very little, but still... So i've poured in 4.5 liters of salt (3 dl / every 100 liters). I've talked to a guy who's very good with fish and their deceases and he said that i should start with this much amount of salt. I don't dare to put medicine in the whole tank, since it may hurt the other fish or "crash" the tank water bacteria and such...

Tags
barramundi, sick