Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 20-05-2002, 01:50 PM   #1
t_tsen
Dragon

Thumbs up To CDM on panasonic LC-5 digital camera

Hi CDM,

This is a new baby in the market, correct me if I'm wrong. It has one of the biggest ccd in the market, 2.5" mind you. It uses a Leica summicron lens at widest f-stop of f2.0, good huh? I'm very interested in this model. Lens seems to be better than sony's carl zeiss lens. Pls comment.

Have you by any chance seen this cam yet? I've read about it's specifications and it seems to be good. Can I get your opinion and comments on this one? Thanks. I want to get a cam, have been sourcing around for some time now. What I'm currently using is my office digi cam. sony f505 I think. 2.1 mega pixels.

Have you seen my gallery yet? Pls kindly comment. Thanks.

Waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Thau Ming

Last edited by t_tsen; 20-05-2002 at 01:53 PM.
t_tsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2002, 06:26 PM   #2
CDM

Thumbs up

Yes, LC5 definitely a good one for at least two reasons. The one is there're 2 major CCD makers which are Sony and Panasonic. Their CCD are both decent. And the 2nd one is, in film camera world, Leica's lens are well know the superb quality. So, base on these two reasons, LC5 should be good. There're rumors that LC5 is almost the same with Leica Digilux 1, hehe, even the outlook can smell Leica style. Here's the link for some information of LC5: (5 stars comments)

Panasonic LC5

As for your gallery, your pics always come with nice quality, hehe, mind if I saved few of them... . What kind of light is there in your tank? From the 3rd pic, the color is pinkish, is that your said a bit pinkish developing? Also, what's the white balance of the pics?

Btw, great RED.
Old 21-05-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
t_tsen
Dragon

Default LC-5

Hi CDM,

Thanks for the reply, I was contemplating on both the cams, and yes you read my mind; the Leica Digilux 1. A very good cam I must say, but not out in the market yet.

I've done a comparison on dpreview.com for the 2 brands, and they turn out to be almost similiar, except the Leica has a smaller ccd. The LC-5 is coming out pretty soon. Don't know the street value yet, hope it doesn't go sky high.

Sure, you can save a few of my pixs. What friends for, the famous quote by Winnie the pooh......hahaha.

As for the lights, I'm using a 4' shuber wright for the 6', with 2 nos of Arcadia flourescent lights 36W each (pink) and a 2', also schuber wright with 2 nos of Arcadia flourescent light 15W each (white).

No, the pink can't be seen in the 3rd pix, that one is pink , coz it was directly under the lamp. That's why it is so bright. In fact the pink can be seen in the 1st one, abit in the 2nd also. I normally do the white balance outside in bright sunlight during the morning and than do the picture taking the same night. That way the pixs will look more towards the nature sunlight color, rather that depending on the auto-white balance of the cam. White balance of these lower end cams are not that pro yet, so must 'cheat' in a way.

Btw, the red is having a gill curl problem as of last sunday evening, I normally look at my fishes twice a day. I didn't notice it in the morning, but in the evening, it had a bit of a flare, the next day was more obvious already.

Any idea for gill curl other that op?

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Thau Ming
t_tsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
CDM

hi t_tsen, the list price difference of both is 3000TD here in TW (P for 32900 and L for 35900), and check again the spec. for both cameras. Don't know my information is right or wrong, but, what I found is both cameras use the same CCD plate (made by Panasonic). Leica and Panasonic join venture together on the digital camera. So, L uses P's CCD and P uses L's optical lens. However, Leica is a legend in camera. For myself, I would wait for the Leica's camera.

And, sorry for the gill curl situation, I had no experience on this, sorry cann't help, hope you get the solution soon. Good Luck.