Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 15-05-2002, 11:30 PM   #1
blackwater

Default What do you guys think of this photo?

Just picking up some digatal photography. Still learning. Now experimenting with some "alternative" photography methods.

What do you think of this photo? Quite happy with this photo coz it captures the fish's colour with out much reflection on the scales, avoiding the usual wash-out/overexposed feel.

Flash was used. Photo taken during daytime.

Comments and feedback please.
Old 15-05-2002, 11:47 PM   #2
CDM

Yes, this one is very close to the reality, the white eye problem is gone and the color can be clearly seen. There're still few scales reflect to show less true color in the middle part. Maybe do a bit more whatever trick than this pic would be perfect. Anyway, this is really a nice trick. Please share the tip with us. Thanks.
Old 16-05-2002, 12:02 AM   #3
blackwater

Quote:
Originally posted by CDM
Yes, this one is very close to the reality, the white eye problem is gone and the color can be clearly seen. There're still few scales reflect to show less true color in the middle part. Maybe do a bit more whatever trick than this pic would be perfect. Anyway, this is really a nice trick. Please share the tip with us. Thanks.
Let me study this a little further and I will get back to you on this.
Old 16-05-2002, 12:04 AM   #4
CDM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwater

Let me study this a little further and I will get back to you on this.
Cann't wait to see leh.... , please.....
Old 16-05-2002, 12:36 AM   #5
blackwater

Quote:
Originally posted by CDM

Cann't wait to see leh.... , please.....
You probably know the trick liao la.

Just wondering if those wonderful pics in your gallery were taken mostly at night or during the day?

Seems like good day pictures are harder to take because of the reflections and images on the glass. What do you think?
Old 16-05-2002, 01:21 AM   #6
PoPoK

blackwater...really nice taken photograph!!

CHEERS
Old 16-05-2002, 03:49 AM   #7
Skyliner

Nicely taken n oso looks abit retro hehee
Old 16-05-2002, 08:48 AM   #8
blackwater

I think what Alvin said about flash being able to show the true colors of the fish is true.

However, it is tricky because using flash produces flare, reflections and usually white eyes and produces areas that are washed-out/over-exposed. But I think that it is not impossible to work around this problem.

Posting on the benefits of flash
Old 16-05-2002, 09:26 AM   #9
CDM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwater

You probably know the trick liao la.

Just wondering if those wonderful pics in your gallery were taken mostly at night or during the day?

Seems like good day pictures are harder to take because of the reflections and images on the glass. What do you think?
hehe, my tank is far away from the windows (for the sake of my RTG), so doesn't matter day or night. For photography, I on my 2X (4 ft white light) and 1X (2.5ft fluorecent light), hehe, it's just like sunny day in my tank.
Old 16-05-2002, 11:39 AM   #10
blackwater

As I have said before, many photos taken are not very reflective of the fishes true colors because of the additional colour enhancement by the pinkish aquarium lights that we see so often.

Lighting plays a big part in getting good photos. Not only in getting clear photos but colours that are indicative of the fish's actual colours.

CDM's lights I believe are quite close to the sunlight, that is why the photos of his fishes are about as good as seeing the fish itself.

But in the case of photography, it is not everyday that we can take photos in the studio (aka your home) where the setup can be tweaked to your liking by repositioning the lights, dark surroundings-bright tank combination etc.

But in the case where we take photos outside, usually we have to adapt the camera's settings to the environment that the fish is in. I think we can use the flash to overcome the effects of the aquarium lights to get a photo of the fish's actual color. However, there is still the problem of over-exposure in some areas and also reflections and white eyes, just to name a few more common problems.