Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 21-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
findicano

Default Newbie to cichlids

Hello, I just recently got into african cichlids on an impulse and have purchased what I think is 2 m. estherae and 2 yellow lab. caeruleus. They seem to be juveniles at around 2 inches or so each. The problem here is i have no idea what is the gender of the fish. The owner of the LFS where i bought it doesn't seem to know either. Having read articles online, I realized it would be good to include in my tank a proper mix of genders. Upon my amateur attempts at venting, it seems that all of them are male

Where could i find a recommended shop that can provide me african cichlids with the appropriate genders so I can stock my tank with the purported gender ratio? I'm sorry if the information can be found here but I honestly couldn't find any via searching...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
leecs

The problem with african cichlids is that they are rather hard to sex when they are small. What is suggested is that you buy at least 5 or more of the same type so that at least you will get a 'reasonable' mix of male/female. Also, having more fish in a tank will spread the aggression in the tank evenly as opposed to having just another fish where the more aggressive one will terrorize until the weaker one dies. That's how it they behave!
I don't think the LFS can accurately sex for you the appropriate genders at that size. Good luck in stocking your tank!