Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #141
chilicrabz
Dragon

Updates @ Day 90

These fries have shown up some colour. Tails started to have a pale orange tint. From the start, i have always thinks that this batch should be from a L160 parents. In fact, these must be a L96 offspring.

Here are some pics on them:

Group photos:

Enjoy.
chilicrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #142
johannes

wah swee le!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #143
amiidae

MX,

What is the feeding regime & type of food for the fries ?

What is the average total length of the fish at the moment ? Are they still housed in that floating box ?

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #144
chilicrabz
Dragon

ben,
i have been feeding them once daily on hikari micro waffer n saki red. They are the smallest food i can find off the shelves.

They are still 26mm-28mm TL. Since i have only 5pcs, i still house them in breeding box. Will transfer them into the tank when they gets to 50mm/2inch.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #145
amiidae

MX,

I suggest keeping them on the ground. i.e. have a small 40cm tank and run a hang-on filter & I believed they shld be fed twice daily.

Trust me, this kind of set up is way better to grow a bottom dweller.

ben

Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #146
chilicrabz
Dragon

ok noted.
The box that house them in the pic is just temporary. It is much smaller than the one before.

They may looks stable but still cant be sure so i have to put inside the parent's tank as bigger volume, fluctuation is minimal.

their appetite dun seems so great. i can still see some leftovers in the morning.

i will try ur suggestions mentioned. thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #147
amiidae

Based on my experience with pacman fries are ;

1) Those in floating box (10in by 5in) don't grew as well as those kept in the main tank.

2) Those in the main tank (4 by 2) don't get their food easily. so grew rate somehow slow as well but still better than those kept in the box.

3) Setting up a 10gal tank is the best option as they feel more secure (i feel) and their grew is faster as I can do water change much easier. it is also easier for me to monitor their feeding habits. Just don't run sponge filter as the only filter - they are pretty useless in coping with the bio waste produced. (tried before and the pH almost crashed)

Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #148
Gecko
Dragon

Ben

Was the 40cm tank bare-bottomed? Any wood or caves or rocks? Did u take bio media from main tank for the hangon filter or they were freshly bought? I am still trying to find the best setup for raising frys or at least increase the survivors. TIA.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #149
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Ben

Was the 40cm tank bare-bottomed? Any wood or caves or rocks? Did u take bio media from main tank for the hangon filter or they were freshly bought? I am still trying to find the best setup for raising frys or at least increase the survivors. TIA.
yes, bare bottom with hiding spots i.e. wood etc..and I run a Dolphin 300 hang-on filter.

I took 100% of the water fm the main tank for the first fill up and some media fm the main tank but I think new media is also ok as long as regular water change is done. (abt 20% every 4 days.. which is only abt 2 scoops .. then later increased to 35% weekly depending on the feeding and bio load)

I don't suggest setting this up before the "touchy" period as I still think leaving the fries in the main tank (totally untouch) with 15% water change weekly is always the best.

I am not sure this will help the survival rate but I am very sure it will help on the growth rate.

BTW, I house abt 8 to 12 in a such tank till they reached abt 2-inch then I reduce the no. to 6 per tank.

Last edited by amiidae; 01-09-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #150
Gecko
Dragon

Thanks ben. Would you agree that if you can find a good way to ensure that the fry are well fed in the main tank kept with the parents, that would be the best way?
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote