Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 16-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #141
mudskippy
Dragon

Very chim liao, but still following the thread...
mudskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #142
octane
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Thanks Waterzoo. So which do you think is most suitable for aros?

Octane - how long it takes to wash the Denitrator unit? It should be quite light, since there are mostly bioballs?

Atom - how do you interpret the ORP readings?
didn't wash the unit, just took it to the bathroom, pour out bioballs and mix in deniballs. unit is light however heavy when it's filled with water.. have to walk like ronald duck from room to bathroom
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #143
WaterZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
I advocate post treatment for all output from all denitrators. I had once subjected the denitrators (x2) to -380 to -420mV for about 2 weeks. All the livestock alive n kicking with no visible change in behaviour. Why? Post treatment. I almost fallen sick due to it!

This is what I do.

- Let the output goes to a protein skimmer
- Use ozone for the air-inlet to protein skimmer
- Filter the output from protein skimmer using wool.

Addtional process; use GAC in FR to remove excess DOC.
Wow ... Amazing without any loss of livestocks for two (2) weeks dosing of redox measurement at an average of -400mV.

This is an eye-opener as I would like to bring along 2 x 1.5L bottle of my Schuran Nitrate output at -400mV to have a realtime "zap" by your protein skimmer cum ozone setup?

Btw, which brand of protein skimmer and ozone equipment are you using for your freshwater setup?
Old 17-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #144
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterZoo View Post
Wow ... Amazing without any loss of livestocks for two (2) weeks dosing of redox measurement at an average of -400mV.

This is an eye-opener as I would like to bring along 2 x 1.5L bottle of my Schuran Nitrate output at -400mV to have a realtime "zap" by your protein skimmer cum ozone setup?

Btw, which brand of protein skimmer and ozone equipment are you using for your freshwater setup?
I'm using AquaMedic Bioflotor and Sander C100 ozoniser.
Old 20-10-2007, 03:20 AM   #145
Spakase

Quote:
IMO, denitrification best performance occur in the region between -200 to -250mV. The main requirement is exactly as what mod Sunburst had mentioned previously, which is the ability to set to -500mV although -300mV is the possible.
Quote:
Relating to -350mV registers for the Denitrator reactor chamber, the chance of seeing any livestocks in the tank is very very slim and be prepared to do a complete makeover for the tank.
The two statements are too chim already....not following you guys.
Is it a correct assumption that the ORP controls the flow rate, therefore, one can set it such that if the ORP hits -300mV, the valve would close so that none of the poisonous gases reach the tank? Why then do we need to set to -500mV?

Ken, earlier, Atom mentioned that anaerobic bac grows best in biomedia such as bioballs and sponge, whereas you mentioned Biohome can be used.....are you guys talking about two different systems?

This thread is really an eye opener, there is so much information and experience crammed into these few pages. Guys, thanks for walking us through this!
Old 20-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #146
Spakase

Quote:
Personally based on my experience with standard denitrators, carbon-fed, and sulphur denitators, it is based on individual preference.

If you hate feeding then it is best to use methods available in the market other than the Denitrator Filter System.
Thanks, what methods would that be? Don't tell me water change!
I thought the Denitrator Atom is using utilises Denniballs - these would take the place of having to feed the bac daily? Sulphur denitrators may not be appropriate for aro rearing (is this a correct statement?)

Quote:
have to walk like ronald duck from room to bathroom
Hahaha, think it is no joke if the unit falls onto your toes!
Old 20-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #147
octane
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Is it a correct assumption that the ORP controls the flow rate, therefore, one can set it such that if the ORP hits -300mV, the valve would close so that none of the poisonous gases reach the tank? Why then do we need to set to -500mV?
the ORP controller controls the a solenoid which either open or closes the water intake for denitrator. the ORP controller is set to open at -200mV thus when this value is reached, it energises the solenoid valve that opens and allows tank water to siphon into the denitrator. when value hits below -199mV, it closes.

Quote:
Thanks, what methods would that be? Don't tell me water change!
I thought the Denitrator Atom is using utilises Denniballs - these would take the place of having to feed the bac daily? Sulphur denitrators may not be appropriate for aro rearing (is this a correct statement?)

Hahaha, think it is no joke if the unit falls onto your toes!
i just added deniballs to atom's denitrator. they slowly release a form of carbon to 'feed' the anaerobes. this way no requirement to feed the anaerobes in order for them to efficiently consume nitrate.

i certainly dun want the unit to fall. maybe can improve it by adding wheels
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #148
Sunburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
The two statements are too chim already....not following you guys.

Ken, earlier, Atom mentioned that anaerobic bac grows best in biomedia such as bioballs and sponge, whereas you mentioned Biohome can be used.....are you guys talking about two different systems?

This thread is really an eye opener, there is so much information and experience crammed into these few pages. Guys, thanks for walking us through this!
Peter .. IMO, siporax and biohome are better biological filter material for all internal, external and trickle filter systems than sponge or bioballs.

As mentioned in ealier post, the reason being siporax n biohome provide the anaerobic bacteria alot of open-pored tunnel structures within the media itself. This allows an ideal supply of the anaerobic bacteria with nutrients and a smallest amount of fresh water which are oxygen-poor conditions within the tunnels.

This makes the bacteria crack or consume nitrate to get enough oxygen. Consequently, they continuously break down nitrate, and the aquarium water remains low in nitrate.
Old 21-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #149
Lonerboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburst View Post
Peter .. IMO, siporax and biohome are better biological filter material for all internal, external and trickle filter systems than sponge or bioballs.

As mentioned in ealier post, the reason being siporax n biohome provide the anaerobic bacteria alot of open-pored tunnel structures within the media itself. This allows an ideal supply of the anaerobic bacteria with nutrients and a smallest amount of fresh water which are oxygen-poor conditions within the tunnels.

This makes the bacteria crack or consume nitrate to get enough oxygen. Consequently, they continuously break down nitrate, and the aquarium water remains low in nitrate.
hmmm... what abt the consideration that anaerobes are very slimy and filmy organism that will easily choke up these medias?
Old 21-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #150
atom

There are various method to pump the water into the denitrator.

1. Using T-Off from the return pump.

pros:
- no running cost
- Cheap

cons:
- insufficient pressure. Might not work properly if denitrator is slightly choke or high headmax is required.
- difficult to control consistent flowrate even with a valve attached

2. using gravity/siphoning.

pros:
- no running cost
- almost no cost
- no noise

cons:
- cannot work unless the input is higher than output
- low pressure .....denitrator choke, cannot work
- hard to control constant flowrate.
- require valve to adjust the required flowrate

3. Using a small dedicated powerhead

pros:
- relatively cheap

cons:
- can be noisy depending on the powerhead used
- difficult to control exact flowrate
- pressure might not be sufficient

4. Using peristaltic pump

pros:
- accurate flowrate
- design specially for very low l/hr
- Flowrate can be adjustable ....for certain models only
cons:
- expensive
- normally not meant for continuous 24/7 running ....easy to breakdown.
- very low flowrate if higher volume is required.
- there is a lifespan for the tube which can be expensive.
- if denitrator choke, it might not work.

5. Using solenoid-driven pump

pros:
- high pressure. Can work even when denitrator is choked.
- accurate flowrate
- higher flowrate than peristaltic pump
- flowrate is adjustable ....for some models
cons:
- due to high pressure delivery, the denitrator migh leak
- can be very nosiy
- expensive
- flowrate cannot be restricted by using valve.
- quite big in size
- flowrate delivery very fast

6. Using bellow pump

pros:
- smooth delivery
- very quiet
- compact in size
- high pressure

cons:
- expensive
- hard to find flowrate lower than 10 l/hr. The smallest is about 12.5 l/hr.

Last edited by atom; 21-10-2007 at 02:04 AM.