Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 04-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
goalkeeper

Smile Advice for newbie

Hi. Just gave up my GF hobby n thinking of starting a planted tank (322 tank). Read the posts here and seems very challenging. Thinking of low maintenance tank without CO2 tank. Will the plants be sustainable? Also kept tetras in past n die easily...any trick to keeping them alive? Appreciate experts' advice on this new hobby. Not sure if I want to start if too time consuming or need all the gadgets.... I'm a science/chemistry idiot!! Thanks much for your advice.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Clamence
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalkeeper View Post
Hi. Just gave up my GF hobby n thinking of starting a planted tank (322 tank). Read the posts here and seems very challenging. Thinking of low maintenance tank without CO2 tank. Will the plants be sustainable? Also kept tetras in past n die easily...any trick to keeping them alive? Appreciate experts' advice on this new hobby. Not sure if I want to start if too time consuming or need all the gadgets.... I'm a science/chemistry idiot!! Thanks much for your advice.
Just like many bros here have said, you keep the water, the water will keep the fish Tetra are actually quite hardy, most are easier to keep than goldfish, although they maybe easily subseptable to diseases due to their smaller size. For non CO2 tanks, keeping nanas, ferns and mosss are some of the basic plants u can have, u can try bucep which i have success with keping in tank without co2 but dose liquid fert weekly Wish u good luck on this journey
Clamence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
issunny
Arofanatic

Just sharing some experience in keeping neon tetra, they seems to thrive better in densely planted tank. Probably due to more hiding place like their natural habitat and the water quality tends to be better with fast glowing plants to keep nitrate level low.

Anyway dont worry too much, just watch your water condition/quality n they should thrive even with low tech planted tank.
issunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
james_neo
Arofanatic

For low tech plants, planted tank should be easy even without C02.
Just need to ensure good light, clean water, filteration, and nice water flow.

There is no need to use those expensive nutrient rich substrate. As low tech plants will not absorb much nutrients, any excess nutrients will cause algae to bloom.
james_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
goalkeeper

Thank you for all your advise, bros. one other question if you don't mind. My current tank is placed in the balcony n works well for GF as algae growth is easy. The plants I have in my current pond (also in balcony) has algae growth on leaves within weeks. My concern is same will happen for my to be planted tank. Should I on the light for hours for the planted tank? Read mollies n shrimps can clear the algae on leaves...so planning to have these once tank is up.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Brichardi
Dragon

You can put in some angelfishes, they are super hardy. Can spare you some (maybe 12 pcs) juvenile silver angelfishes if you are interested. All the best in your new project!

Raymond
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
goalkeeper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
You can put in some angelfishes, they are super hardy. Can spare you some (maybe 12 pcs) juvenile silver angelfishes if you are interested. All the best in your new project!

Raymond
Thanks bro Raymond. I'll take up your offer after my tank is set up. Much appreciated.