Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
Panther
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
yes sir!

Like I mentioned earlier,

Algae and green water occurs due to excessive nitrates and nutrients in the water...

solve the problem of overfeeding will solve ur green water problem

normally I feed 80% of normal input amount during tanning experiment...its also better cos reds will not fall sick easily after a spate of rains
Master Kage,

Correct me if I'm wrong...the nitrates and nutrients occur due to the excessive waste generated by the fish and decomposition of uneaten food (eg. MP). There is also the generation of ammonia which will result in the nitrates. The nitrates, if not broken down or absorbed by any plant matter, will plague the water thus causing the algae problem.

Therefore, IMO, it's not just the overfeeding of the aros right? It should be more of whether the BB in the filter media is efficient enuff to breakdown the waste matters?

Moreover, the excessive amount of lights can also be a cause of the green water isn't it? Lastly, to remove the green water,would the passing of the water through a UVC be the best way (would this kill off the BB in the media too) or thru multiple WC? If through multiple WC, then how to change less so that parameter is not affected so drastically to cause stress while ridding the 6ft tank of the green water leh?

Just for discussion

Tags
tanning light arowana