Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 05-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

I have a different way of doing it.

I would run the lights as normal during the cycling period. The reason is to let whatever algae grow and reduce the nutrients content. After cycling, you can easily pull out the long strands of algae and let other algae eaters finish the job.

If you dont switch on the lights during cycling, you will face alot of algae growth when looks matter the most after adding fish.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
KaLiB

Quote:
Should I get 2 snails or blenny to at least help clear some algae...so the tank does not look so awful???
From my experience, depending on how bad the algae growth is, these biological controls may do little to make the tank look any better. You can add them in now, but IMO, to play safe should wait at least 1week first.

Remember not to stock up your tank too quickly.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
From my experience, depending on how bad the algae growth is, these biological controls may do little to make the tank look any better. You can add them in now, but IMO, to play safe should wait at least 1week first.

Remember not to stock up your tank too quickly.
Thanks KaLiB.....LS shopping postponed to 2 weeks later....

Regards
Wai Yip
Ah Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Hi all

Hi all

Posted some pics of my marine set-up in my gallery...

Comments???

BTW, I notice that there is a lot of worms crawling in my tank (on the liverocks, sandbed...etc....they are about 1mm thick and between 1 to 2 cm. Please refer to my last pics.....tried to look up the ID of the worms....are these consider bristleworms??

Question: will they cause any harm??? I have not added in any fishes yet...may add in one or two fishes this weekend after 3 weeks of cycling.

Regards
Wai Yip

Regards
Wai Yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Boy
Thanks KaLiB.....LS shopping postponed to 2 weeks later....

Regards
Wai Yip
Old 13-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #15
KaLiB

They look like bristleworms.

IMO, to remove or not is up to the hobbyist. Some remove while others don't. They are supposed to be helpful as they scavenge for leftover food.
Old 14-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #16
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Bristleworms

Thanks KaLiB for IDing the worms....they looks quite disgusting to me....and my wifey is also complaining about their looks....

Just thought: Will any fishes take them as food? or are all of them out in the open because there are currently no fishes swimming in my tank?

Any medication that I can dose...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
They look like bristleworms.

IMO, to remove or not is up to the hobbyist. Some remove while others don't. They are supposed to be helpful as they scavenge for leftover food.
Old 14-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
KaLiB

There could be many more hidden within the sandbed and rocks.

I would try not to get rid of them as their deaths could spark off an ammonia spike which would drag your cycling period. As far as i know, there are no medications to kill them. You would need manual removal, like putting the rocks into freshwater but this would kill everything on the rock.

There should be livestocks that consume them. I believe some shrimps do consume them, think its the boxer shrimp. Can anyone verify?
Old 14-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Ryan Wong

Hi, happen to know abit about bristleworm, for comfirmation pls see(http://melevsreef.com/id/kritter1.html), their natural enemys are Coral Branded Shrimp and Bicolor Pseudochromis or Strawberry Pseudochromis as described in http://www.petsolutions.com/Cleaners...-16203-C-.aspx or you can type bristleworm in the above website for a list of bristleworm eaters

Personal experinence with the Bicolor Pseudochromis and Strawberry Pseudochromis tells me that they are rather fierce and may not eventually get along with your future live stock. Worse, they are faster swimmers and since you have already setup your life rocks, catching them can be quite tough when the bristleworm are exterminated.

Do not know much about the Coral Branded shrimp, heard that it will eat some other kinds of crabs.

So unless you are planning to keep them in the future, you might want to think think abit.
Old 14-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Ah Boy
Arofanatic

Default Thanks Guys

Hi Ryan and KaLiB

Thanks for the advice...will leave them alone for now....will probably get the coral banded shrimp or boxer to see what happens..they are nice creatures to to gain permanent residency in my tank...

Regards
Wai Yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Wong
Hi, happen to know abit about bristleworm, for comfirmation pls see(http://melevsreef.com/id/kritter1.html), their natural enemys are Coral Branded Shrimp and Bicolor Pseudochromis or Strawberry Pseudochromis as described in http://www.petsolutions.com/Cleaners...-16203-C-.aspx or you can type bristleworm in the above website for a list of bristleworm eaters

Personal experinence with the Bicolor Pseudochromis and Strawberry Pseudochromis tells me that they are rather fierce and may not eventually get along with your future live stock. Worse, they are faster swimmers and since you have already setup your life rocks, catching them can be quite tough when the bristleworm are exterminated.

Do not know much about the Coral Branded shrimp, heard that it will eat some other kinds of crabs.

So unless you are planning to keep them in the future, you might want to think think abit.
Old 14-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #20
lightbolt75

Safer will be to get a 6-lined wrasse to handle ur bristleworms problem. They stay small, reef safe and non-aggressive towards ur other fishes. Take note that the fish cannot reduce the bristleworms to zero, only keep it within managable levels. But any visble ones will be eaten up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Wong