Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 17-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
thmejlfm

Default Newbie Want To Set Up Planted Tank

Hi! Bro & Sis

Would like to set up a 3' Planted Tank. Would like to know whether I can set up one without any filter, pump and CO2. Just the plants, small shrimp.

Please advise
Old 17-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
dcwk

You can do without C02 by choosing a low tech setup, but you cannot do without a filter.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmejlfm View Post
Hi! Bro & Sis

Would like to set up a 3' Planted Tank. Would like to know whether I can set up one without any filter, pump and CO2. Just the plants, small shrimp.

Please advise
a filter is a must, if not how do u break down the waste ??
co2, not a must, chiller too

basically your setup can only fit hardy plants.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
dcwk

You can read more about the nitrate cycle and you will understand why a filter is required.
Old 19-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Ang Kong Siao

bro filter is a must for planted tank.. it also help in your water movement too, which is important for the plant to take in fert.. and stop grown of bba or other algae..
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
DraVen

may i ask which type of filter is recommended? i'm having an OHF, but i'm thinking of switching to sponge filter if it means increasing the number of CO2 in the water. please advise
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmejlfm View Post
Hi! Bro & Sis

Please advise
better to have a filter... 3 ft of stagnant water with no fish, only small shrimp is a mosquito breeding ground...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
burntrubber
Dragon

If no CO2 is injected, then any type of filter can be used. Plants are limited to hardy ones like some floating plants, ferns,nanas but variety is also quite alot for these types so use your imagination. Main concern will be temperature. Keep the temperature below 28-29deg C. Get an aquarium fan if necessary.
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
DraVen

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrubber View Post
If no CO2 is injected, then any type of filter can be used. Plants are limited to hardy ones like some floating plants, ferns,nanas but variety is also quite alot for these types so use your imagination. Main concern will be temperature. Keep the temperature below 28-29deg C. Get an aquarium fan if necessary.
ok thanx alot~
Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
derfla

Do take note of the flow rate of the filter to accomodate your 3ft tank. If the filter is too small, it will cause problem to the water condition.