Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 AM   #11
jPoPbOl
Endangered Dragon

Been long time no come in af. Not a fan of tiger till todae went to lfs n saw their small size tiger, what is the diff between this two tiger?
jPoPbOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPoPbOl View Post
Been long time no come in af. Not a fan of tiger till todae went to lfs n saw their small size tiger, what is the diff between this two tiger?
I got hooked onto these tigers when I saw huge magnificent pieces of them. haha... There are a few variants: Goliath, Vittatus, and the not so common ones are BATF, FATF, TATF.

The main differences between a GATF and VATF are the head shape, specifically the jaw structure - the GATF has a bigger and more squarish jaw. The VATF has black markings forming horizontal stripes across its body but the GATF's body is plain silver. The tail of the GATF is also more rugged the lower lope is red whereas the VATF has a pointier tail with shades of yellow and red that spreads both upper and lower lopes.
johnenrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenghua View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I was surprised to find out Tigerfish can be kept.

Watched an Rivers Monsters with Jeremy Wade" episode on Goliath Tigerfish last year.

Impressed by it's strength and ferocity. The fish has been reported to attack crocodiles and humans.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Haha.. yes the infamous documentary of the GATF. Unfortunately, you wont see such ferocity in these fishes till they are 30" (I guess) or so... they are very skittish when younger (my dad nicknamed them "timids") and very frightened and hurt themselves when they bang on the glass when frightened. Dont let their looks deceive you haha.. Still I find them challenging to keep and awesome to look at when they patrol around the tank.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenrui View Post
Haha.. yes the infamous documentary of the GATF. Unfortunately, you wont see such ferocity in these fishes till they are 30" (I guess) or so... they are very skittish when younger (my dad nicknamed them "timids") and very frightened and hurt themselves when they bang on the glass when frightened. Dont let their looks deceive you haha.. Still I find them challenging to keep and awesome to look at when they patrol around the tank.
My own theory is that nature has its way of balancing itself... at 30-40" they are apex predators and nothing stops them. As such, there can't be too many of them - that is why they take so long to get that big and they are so fragile before they reach those sizes...

^my own theory haha
Old 04-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
rolex
Arofanatic

Can keep one gatf instead of group?

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk
rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #16
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex View Post
Can keep one gatf instead of group?

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk
if small, you gatf will be a bit skittish.. small keep in group better

my small gatf i keep with congo tetras or tin foil barbs.

花有重开日,人无再少年
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
kenghua
Arofanatic

Goliath Tiger Fish biting a chunk out of a silver aro lower jaw in a comm tank.....

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The silver was probably still alive from the looks of it's tail movement at the end of the clip.
kenghua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenghua View Post
Goliath Tiger Fish biting a chunk out of a silver aro lower jaw in a comm tank.....

YouTube Video

The silver was probably still alive from the looks of it's tail movement at the end of the clip.

Saw this video before - I've always had my doubts whether the GATF was the aggressive one since I've not heard or seen other GATFs being so aggressive esp to similar sized tankmates. Could it really have been the first aggressor? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #19
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
if small, you gatf will be a bit skittish.. small keep in group better

my small gatf i keep with congo tetras or tin foil barbs.

I agree, they are seemingly less skittish in a group. TFBs are good tankmates to have just that they are pigs haha.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #20
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenrui View Post
I agree, they are seemingly less skittish in a group. TFBs are good tankmates to have just that they are pigs haha.

In fact my ATFs are a lot better in a group - even at this size.