Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 21-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #31
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhKiatz View Post
Nice. Actually i also setting up cory tanks. But setting planted de haha. Maybe every now and den nid your help :x
Sure! Just PM me, I'll help in what way I can. Planted tanks are very nice, but you must have the time to take care of them, especially small planted tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
hey JIG, cant find my old cory tank.. busy to search throughly also..
anyway, why not switch to C.hasbrosus instead? they grow to a max length of inch.. while this cory(forget what name) can grow to quite big.
I had Otocinclus with Sanzon Iwagumi and they were cute, but I want another Corydoras that is bigger. So far, they are proving to be cool characters, interactive with each other and being very active. The interesting thing is that, they do everything together. Swim together, sleep together, eat together and sometimes breathe together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoToNgMaN View Post
Let me know if you're interested ... we can start a thread for consensus ...

btw ... planted forum main section is opened for new threads ...
Thanks. I'll PM you soon.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #32
blue33

Nice cory tank you have there. So really giving up planted tank?
Old 22-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
Nice cory tank you have there. So really giving up planted tank?
Hey Adrian, nice to see you here.
I'll be adding some moss to the new setup, does that count as a planted tank?
Old 23-01-2010, 02:28 AM   #34
JadeIceGreen

Filter Update

I told you I was a sucker for filter media right? The Eheim Liberty comes with three filter media options; the blue sponge cartridge for mechanical and biological filtration, the green bio sponge cartridge for biological filtration and the black activated carbon cartridge for chemical filtration.

The Eheim Liberty 100 by default comes with only the blue sponge and frankly, that in itself is enough for filtration. It must be said though, that the Liberty series is totally outclassed by even the smallest of the classic range, pressurized filtration is still much more effective than hang on filters. But if you have a small tank and you do not want to deal with tubing and a more troublesome filter cleaning routine, than hang on filters may be your best friend.

The Eheim Liberty 100 (with default blue sponge

The Eheim Liberty 100 (with activated carbon and green bio sponge)

From the pictures above, you can tell that the blue sponge takes up the same space as an activated carbon sponge and the green bio sponge. So if you intend to add activated carbon into your filter, you will not be able to use the blue sponge.

Some people have gone around this by adding their own activated carbon in filter bags into the pump compartment. I was tempted to do the same but after my media modding attempts with the Eheim 2211 and Eheim 2213, I have come to realized that Eheim designers/engineers know their stuff best.

To prepare for the new tank, (or at least that is my justification to spend more money) I went to Petmart to get the activated carbon and green bio sponge. I was actually a little surprised that it was not as expensive as I expected, knowing the premium pricing of Eheim products. Changing the activated carbon once a month will be less than a meal at the local coffee houses.

Green Bio Sponge

Activated Carbon
Old 23-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #35
JadeIceGreen

Filter Update II

The green bio sponge cartridge is pretty well made, the main difference I could spot between the blue and green sponge is that the green sponge is denser. But I do not know if this translates to a better biological colony.

Front

Back

Another difference between the green bio sponge and the other two sponges is that water is not meant to pass through it, but go over the sponge. This is telling from its shorter height compared to the other sponges. Another interesting thing is that there is a 'cut' at the edge of the green sponges. This prevents you from inserting the green sponges in the wrong direction, it ensures that the face of the sponge will always face the incoming flow of water.

The difference in sizes

Detailed view of the media
Old 23-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #36
JadeIceGreen

Instructions from the box
Old 23-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
JadeIceGreen

Filter Update III

Of all the three sponges, the one that interest me the most is the activated carbon sponge. Nothing stirs my blood more than chemical filtration (in the filtration world), the thought of activated carbon pulling in all the 'bad' stuff and polishing your water to a sheen is a nice one. However, I am under no illusion that the bedrock of a filtration system is always biological. Perhaps that will explain why my water is still slightly cloudy after 24 hours of adding the activated carbon and green bio sponge cartridges. With the blue sponge, my tank cleared in a week or so, I guess that was when the biological media matured. I'll update everyone on how long does the activated carbon with green bio sponge takes to stabilize the tank.

The box holds two activated carbon cartridges. They are individually packed in zip lock bags. I was impressed by the packaging but at the same time not very happy at the amount of plastic used. I am also trying not to think of how much plastic I'll be throwing away every month when I change activated carbon cartridges.

Detailed view of the media
Old 23-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
JadeIceGreen

Instructions from the box

Media Option 1 - Eheim Liberty 100

Media Option 2 - Eheim Liberty 100

All three sponges
Old 23-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #39
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

JIG, IMO ,dun use the active carbon pad.. as far as i know, having active carbon as media, you have to change the pad once a month.. or even lesser.. if not the "substances" the pad absorbs will be released back to the tank.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #40
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
JIG, IMO ,dun use the active carbon pad.. as far as i know, having active carbon as media, you have to change the pad once a month.. or even lesser.. if not the "substances" the pad absorbs will be released back to the tank.
I do not changing the activated carbon every month if it can ensure good and clear water conditions.

And according to research, 'used' activated carbon do not release the 'bad stuff' back into the tank, it will just not absorb anymore.