Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 24-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #51
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
hey bro betta4life. u mentioned abt wavemaker but wont that disturb e substrate.im using 2217 n e current frm e rainbar i tot was slightly too fast alr. im not sure only ran it for 3 days. will obs for dead spots thanks.
Bro, if you think the current is too fast, you can try drilling more holes or enlarging the existing hole size. Do it in steps until you get your preferred current. For me, i like the current strong since it helps to circulate the water better. Especially when your filter wool starts to clog up, you will notice flowrate drops quite a bit.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #52
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Nice shots, bro! Your cory is the only 1 in the tank? Won't it be stressed? Cories do best in groups, otherwise, most of the time, they will be hiding.
hahah thks bro!anyway bad singlish. i meant like my friend gave wan?not i buy. he gave me 8 of them n 2 albino but at e start e 2 albino died i think i dint control e co2 properly.

jus wanna ask i placed my old acdc air pump on top of e tank but i was afraid e vibration of e pump would be bad for e fishes. well is it?
Old 24-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #53
TwistedPair

Quote:
Bro, if you think the current is too fast, you can try drilling more holes or enlarging the existing hole size. Do it in steps until you get your preferred current. For me, i like the current strong since it helps to circulate the water better. Especially when your filter wool starts to clog up, you will notice flowrate drops quite a bit.
oh thks thks ill obs first so far e tetras still swim near e rainbar n not hide at e corner where current is slowest so i guess is ok!? n there has been no deaths so far so i think everything is pickin up. probably more plants the next pay day?hahah maybeee fissidens?? hahaha i like mosses! if only they grew on e floor.
Old 24-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #54
GamerSJB

Good job Josh, 10 ottos already like that liao.. Hahah!
Old 24-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #55
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSJB View Post
Good job Josh, 10 ottos already like that liao.. Hahah!
yea yea! awesome ah! but i worried 10 got abit too much or not
Old 24-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #56
TwistedPair

Default I just had to do it

After seeing JadeIceGreen's photos, it inspired to try and snap nicer photos for my own journal!

This time just trying to be much sharper with the images and composing it just a lil bit more! and at the same time a small update on my tank. tetras not showings it colour at night. could it be stress? dont know??

from the side of the tank

my colourless tetras.hmmm wonder why

hey buddy!you're not an Otto. dont monkey see monkey do!

my fissidens. the nicest of the bunch!

mr cory

image of the day!

watcha looking at!

thats all from today!
Old 25-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #57
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Bro, you just switched on your tank light? Tetras "turn off" their colors at night. It's a defence mechanism against predators. It also happens when the tetra is resting.

As for your moss/fissiden, you can always tie to those fine SS wire mesh, then lay them out on the tank floor mah. I'm currently trying out a Riccia mat. Hoping it works out.
Old 25-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #58
TwistedPair

Quote:
Bro, you just switched on your tank light? Tetras "turn off" their colors at night. It's a defence mechanism against predators. It also happens when the tetra is resting.

As for your moss/fissiden, you can always tie to those fine SS wire mesh, then lay them out on the tank floor mah. I'm currently trying out a Riccia mat. Hoping it works out.
wow very nice. i just googled it.. hope urs will turn out lush like those google images! haha. anyway bro jon-san u have any comments about my current landscape? should i move certain things ard for balance or something?

actually this was what i wanted to copy. just dint turn out right haha.

and one more question. can my tank with tetras and corys and etc comm with discus?? thought of getting a pair to form sort of the 2 main focal fishes in the tank? not sure if thats the word but yeah 2 big main fishes. what u think?
Old 25-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #59
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
wow very nice. i just googled it.. hope urs will turn out lush like those google images! haha. anyway bro jon-san u have any comments about my current landscape? should i move certain things ard for balance or something?

actually this was what i wanted to copy. just dint turn out right haha.

and one more question. can my tank with tetras and corys and etc comm with discus?? thought of getting a pair to form sort of the 2 main focal fishes in the tank? not sure if thats the word but yeah 2 big main fishes. what u think?
I'm not that great on aquascaping! Lol... Have yet to progress beyond my 1.5 ft semi-planted. But based on the pic you attached, you would notice that the focal point of the scape would be around the middle section of the tank. In your setup, you have tall plants at the sides. That, plus the bogwood on the left and that thick branch on the right, tends to drag the eye away from the middle. I'm not sure if your plants at the sides are firmly planted or just your nitrate absorbers, but if it were me, I would cluster the bogwood setup towards the middle and bring it forward a bit towards the front panel. At the back of the tank behind the bogwood mass, I would add more tall background plants. Your Tiger Lily (is that what it's called?) seems very sparse, like 1 on each side. Maybe can group the 2 together or add in more of them, but not too many since when they fully develop, they will crowd out the tank. I would add more mid-ground plants centered around the middle bogwood mass, to cover up the base of the bogwood.

Oh, and regarding the discuses, am not too sure on that, since I have never kept discus before and have absolutely no idea on their care requirements. You mentioned you have quite fast flow from your 2217. Might wanna check whether discuses can tolerate fast currents. My memory of seeing discus setups is usually quite slow water movement. I will ask my breeder friend and update you too.

Last edited by Jon-san; 25-08-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added additional info.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #60
TwistedPair

wah thks for that reply. actually i had a nice on dry land prep of e wood.but when i put in water they all floated up n cause a big mess! left it there for days.still wont sink so i attached fishing weight on them.haha

in any case i also tried sawing my bog wood to e shape i wanted but it was hardwork.. hmmm ill try moving e wood tonight.. hmmm something to think abt at work today.