Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 27-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
conchabullosa
Arofanatic

Nice lights!
I am not familiar wi the Ecoxotic . Do u mean it is sold as either 1 or 3 strip LED or is sold as 1strip and u can have the option of putting in 2 more?
Does water condense on the bare LED?
conchabullosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchabullosa View Post
Nice lights!
I am not familiar wi the Ecoxotic . Do u mean it is sold as either 1 or 3 strip LED or is sold as 1strip and u can have the option of putting in 2 more?
Does water condense on the bare LED?

The LED arm comes default with one strip already attached. But you can order more strips to add to it. In the picture, you can see that there are spaces between the existing strip for one more strip on either side. Some marine hobbyists who are using this LED arm have added another 2 more strips on the extreme ends of the arm, bringing it to a total of 5 strips or 45 watts.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
darter
Arofanatic

Any updates?

Which ikea did you get the table from? Looking for one too, to hold a mini m for my pair of holland rams.

Care to pm mi the prices for the light too?
darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Bro Isaac, looks like I might be needing your help with my aquascaping after all... Lol. Planning for my next tank to be a 4ft planted, but with some modifications to it in case I decide to change the concept later on. Gonna run it on a sump setup though, so I guess I'll have to manage some on the CO2 wastage.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #35
sixthbrand
Dragon

Any updates?
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #36
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by darter View Post
Any updates?

Which ikea did you get the table from? Looking for one too, to hold a mini m for my pair of holland rams.

Care to pm mi the prices for the light too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
Any updates?
I got it from Tampines Ikea. An update is coming later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Bro Isaac, looks like I might be needing your help with my aquascaping after all... Lol. Planning for my next tank to be a 4ft planted, but with some modifications to it in case I decide to change the concept later on. Gonna run it on a sump setup though, so I guess I'll have to manage some on the CO2 wastage.
No problem. I'll contact you.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #37
JadeIceGreen

Here is a teaser, update of the filter coming tonight.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #38
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

nice little filter
not scaped yet???!!!
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
nice little filter
not scaped yet???!!!
Wow, fast reply bro. Nope.. not aquascaped yet. Still waiting for equipment to arrive.
How are your tanks these days bro?

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 07-06-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #40
JadeIceGreen

For those that have follow my threads over the years, you would know that I love the filtration part of our hobby. And well so, since our filters are the life support systems of our aquariums.

The Eheim 2211 is the smallest and cutest proper cannister filter around. I first used it many years ago for my iwagumi aquascape and although it worked well, my hands got itchy and I jumped for its big brother, the 2213. After the 2213, I had the opportunity to try lots of filters and hang-on filters designed for nano tanks. A few performed well, but the vast majority should just be avoided if you're serious about your filtration. So now, after the wealth of experience, I'm back to the 2211.

To me, the 2211 is a special filter and I do feel emotionally attached to it. I know it sounds weird that I attach emotions to a piece of equipment, but we all do feel towards products that are well designed. ADA will always have a following because they not only are the best performing or comparable to the best in the market, but they are very aesthetic pleasing. The same thing is true for Apple products, the success they have today is because they have managed to design products to such a pedigree that the majority of the market desires for it.

The 2211 is not as aesthetically pleasing as ADA products, but it does appeal to me in other ways. If you have used other cannister filters from the Eheim's classic range, then 'cute' is a most appropriate word for the 2211. Eheim's famous classic range is the favourite for many as it does what a good filter is supposed to do without any bells or whistles. Of course, there is nothing wrong with additional functions but they do make the filter more expensive. For those that do not need automated functions such as air discharge, simulated river flow, constant flow rate, flow rate graphs and maintenance alerts, then the lower cost of the classic series is most welcomed. The 2211 is a miniaturised version of all the other filters of the classic series, you get all the benefits of a well-designed, time tested filter series.

The picture will give you an idea of how small the 2211 is, it is about as long as the ADA Mini S and just under half as wide without its stand. As the Mini S is only 31cm in length, you have a good idea of exactly how small it is. For the aquarium stand that I'll be using for all the tanks in Project Nanos, the 2211 is the only filter that will fit into the bottom shelf.

Dimensions: 110mm x 290mm
Flow rate: 440 litres per hour, upgraded impeller
Media Capacity: 1 litre
Energy used: 5 watts
Height maximum for tubing: 1.5 metres

ADA have used the 2211 exclusively for their Mini S and Mini M, it is the only product that they use outside the ADA brand and that says a lot. It is also no secret that ADA's Super Jet filters are largely similar to Eheim's classic series. And the reason why ADA and Eheim's classic range work so well is because the circular filter body promotes better flow as compared to a square body. Also, the lack of filter baskets allows more space optimisation for filter media. The 2213 comes with a filter basket, but I once use filter bags instead of the basket and the amount of extra filter media I could fit was surprising substantial.

Because ADA have used the 2211 over the years, this little filter has gained recognition, especially in Japan and the USA. A few years ago, before its revived popularity, Eheim did stop production for the 2211 in certain markets. However, the renewed demand for it now has ensured that it is well supplied. If ADA releases a nano version of its Super Jet filter in a similar size to the 2211, I'll be all over it in a heartbeat. But until that happens, I believe the 2211 will continue to be popular and in production for the foreseeable future, as there is no other nano cannister filter that performs at its level.

Here are some reasons on why I enjoy the 2211 and have chosen it over the 2213 for Nano I.

1. The stock flow rate of the 2211 is too slow for my liking, but upon discovering that I can upgrade the stock impeller with the 2213's to achieve a flow rate of 440 litres per hour, my reservations disappear. Some may think that such a flow rate is too high, but it will not be so when considering that the filter media I will be using is denser than Eheim's Substrat Pro.

2. The 2213 comes bundled with Eheim's Substrat Pro but not the 2211. I've used Substrat Pro extensively but my experience with other filter media have been better, so I'm not going to pay for a filter media that I'm won't be utilising.

3. In the past, I wanted more media capacity than what the 2211 can hold. But this time round, after working with various filtration media, I will be using the best biological and chemical filtration media that have worked for me. The 2211's diminutive 1 litre media capacity is going to be enough to ensure water clarity is crystal clear and every drop sparkles. The 2211 and filter media will achieve that, I'm not going to settle for anything less.

4. It's adorable size. A properly designed aquascape is more than just what's in the tank. The entire set up should be coordinated in the best way possible to achieve a feeling of harmony. After all, the equipment supporting the aquascape will always be visible.

5. The ability to backwash. This for me, is the best reason to use the 2211. I will never have to disturb the biological media during maintenance as I will not need to physically remove it. The only reason I will ever need to open up the filter is to change out the chemical media. If you do not utilise chemical filtration, you don't even need to open up your filter for maintenance. Simply backwash during a water change on a monthly basis and this can be also done without moving the filter. No fuss, easy peasy.

The 2211 comes with 2 plastic traps that creates space at the inflow and outflow points of the filter. This is important to ensure a smooth flow of water throughout the filter. They waste quite a bit of space but are essential for optimal flow. Besides these two traps, Eheim has also provided two sponges, a blue hard sponge and a soft white one to be paired with these traps.

The blue sponge can be used for mechanical filtration and it's decent. My only qualm is that it's too thick for my liking, my priority is to maximise as much space as possible for the biological media. The white soft sponge will be used to polish the filtered water as it returns to the aquarium. I will be condensing the sponge by quite a bit to ensure all micro particles are filtered out. The 440 litres per hour flow rate will be valuable here to ensure that I get a good flow even after passing through a dense sponge.

Alright, that's about all, behind my rational to use the 2211 for Nano I. In the next update, I will set up the 2211 and cover the filter media that I've chosen. Till then, do keep the questions coming!