Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
Nomis
Dragon

Default Discus keeping in large tank...Advise please.

Hi seniors ,chanced upon some video on discus fish keeping in huge tank, really majestic and beautiful when they swim in a group.

Hence,advise needed for discus fish keeping in large tank.

Was toying of using my existing 7 x 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft tank to keep Discus.

However ,seems to have many concern on how to ensure they thrive well in such tank .

As tank is already with blue background Oyama, base with black Oyama ,think I will retain its current colour , at most I may conceal the black base with white substrates.

Seen many keeping their Discus fishes on white background, will this blue/black background colour has effect on the fish itself? Will the fish turn darker towards dark background ? Or black spots appearing ? Do I need to on the heater ?

The tank has been set up with top trickle filter flow into the side filter compartment, I created another tray of this filter to allow another set of media for better water quality ,I hope.

Trouble is the water gushing out seems to create quite abit of current which Discus fishes might not like. And the pump was placed inside the main tank ,not at the side filtration compartment .

Also understand from fellow discus expert that water changing regime is important, hence with this huge tank, how much water to change say weekly?

Further, to decorate tank with some drift wood and maybe couple of aquatic plant like nana plant appropriate for discus .?

Lastly , having headache what species to keep in this tank as each and every species has its own beauty.

Thanks for reading and if could advise newbie like me further how to modify this tank to suit best in keeping discus fish,will be appreciated.

Pic of tank..

Good morning to all.

Simon

Last edited by Nomis; 06-05-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
patclay
Dragon

I wish I could have that size of tank in my home because you can keep a lot of discus in there.

I am currently keeping mostly Redmaps, ABDs and red melons in my 5×2.5×2ft tank. There's also a red aro and tigirinus inside. My background is black and hence I can't keep bluebase discus in there as they will turn black.

I am using sump filtration system and I change 30% wc twice a week. I think given the size of your fish tank, even if the top filter's water gushes out a bit, it will still be ok for the discus, although a more calm water will be preferred for keeping discus.

Maybe to start off try red base discus first. Just my 2 cents worth.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #3
Nomis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
I wish I could have that size of tank in my home because you can keep a lot of discus in there.

I am currently keeping mostly Redmaps, ABDs and red melons in my 5×2.5×2ft tank. There's also a red aro and tigirinus inside. My background is black and hence I can't keep bluebase discus in there as they will turn black.

I am using sump filtration system and I change 30% wc twice a week. I think given the size of your fish tank, even if the top filter's water gushes out a bit, it will still be ok for the discus, although a more calm water will be preferred for keeping discus.

Maybe to start off try red base discus first. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for pointer ,senior...

Can showcase your tank set up for some idea ?

Doesn't aro n tigrinus has different diet as discus? Won't these "tank mate" stress them further?

TIA

Simon
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
patclay
Dragon

Paisei not Senior lah. Just a hobbyist myself too, and still got a lot to learn...

My tigirinus eats prawns but my aros has been trained to eat beef heart too so not issue.

Here's the link to my discus photos:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/94...909/dQyI4D.jpg
Old 06-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #5
patclay
Dragon

Furthermore my aro very tame won't kajiao the discus. ..
Old 06-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
nitingdedao
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
Hi seniors ,chanced upon some video on discus fish keeping in huge tank, really majestic and beautiful when they swim in a group.

Hence,advise needed for discus fish keeping in large tank.

Was toying of using my existing 7 x 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft tank to keep Discus.

However ,seems to have many concern on how to ensure they thrive well in such tank .

As tank is already with blue background Oyama, base with black Oyama ,think I will retain its current colour , at most I may conceal the black base with white substrates.

Seen many keeping their Discus fishes on white background, will this blue/black background colour has effect on the fish itself? Will the fish turn darker towards dark background ? Or black spots appearing ? Do I need to on the heater ?

The tank has been set up with top trickle filter flow into the side filter compartment, I created another tray of this filter to allow another set of media for better water quality ,I hope.

Trouble is the water gushing out seems to create quite abit of current which Discus fishes might not like. And the pump was placed inside the main tank ,not at the side filtration compartment .

Also understand from fellow discus expert that water changing regime is important, hence with this huge tank, how much water to change say weekly?

Further, to decorate tank with some drift wood and maybe couple of aquatic plant like nana plant appropriate for discus .?

Lastly , having headache what species to keep in this tank as each and every species has its own beauty.

Thanks for reading and if could advise newbie like me further how to modify this tank to suit best in keeping discus fish,will be appreciated.

Pic of tank..

Good morning to all.

Simon
Si bei swee tank. See already cannot sleep. A whole batch of large turqoise in there will be a dream tank for many!

Start sourcing!
nitingdedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Depending on which strain on discus you keep. Pigeon based ones would most likely have peperring. Change 50% weekly? Depending on how much you feed also, could try tilting your outlet so that the water gushing out would be hitting the walls of your tank. Keeping wilds would look nice with DW and plants
Jonathan_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Amount and freq of wc depends on your bioload and feeding like all fishes.

Choices of discus is very individual , all of us has our own like and dislikes. Try avoid pigeon base fish if you don't like peppering effects.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
eddiecheng
Dragon

keep albino fishes they are v v nice. albino golden, albino red cover albino leopard snakskin albino leopards or any other albino strains.
eddiecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
Ronald
Dragon

Bro Simon, your tank and environment got the wild look. Keep wild discus!
Fill the base with white sand and design the tank with more bogwood and driftwood and low maintenance plants. Again you have a neighbour that sells many of these.
Will be sibeh swee....go look at some wild discus setup on the internet for inspiration
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote