Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Iron Buddha

Default What CO2 Systems do you guys use

After Reserching, i find that they are quite expensive. Some require that you refill with Paitball Canisters...wow.

I have seen the homemade versions..using soda bottles with yeast and so on..But i might be starting a large planted tank...like 120 to 180 gallons...and i will starts a smaller one first...like 30-40 gallons.

What systems to you all use..what has worked for you....what is best price wise??...is it worth it?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Buddha View Post
After Reserching, i find that they are quite expensive. Some require that you refill with Paitball Canisters...wow.

I have seen the homemade versions..using soda bottles with yeast and so on..But i might be starting a large planted tank...like 120 to 180 gallons...and i will starts a smaller one first...like 30-40 gallons.

What systems to you all use..what has worked for you....what is best price wise??...is it worth it?
if you going to start a 120-180 gallon tank , i guess you need to prepare a factory to churn out yeast solution regularly.....sorry, jokes aside, I think your tank size really justify a Co2 tank., even a 40 gallon tank would justify that
Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
ghim

120-180 Gallon sounds like a 4-6 ft tank. Why bother with DIY CO2 with such a large tank?

You may even consider splitting the CO2 outlet or 2XCo2 tanks for better distribution.

5L CO2 set cost less than $100. Expensive?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Shad0w

IMHO nothing better than pressurize CO2. Initial setup cost may be expensive $100~$200 depending on the tank and solenoid brand. The running cost is pretty cheap $16 to top up (previously $15) and it will last between 6 months to a year plus.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Iron Buddha

Default Yo

Are you saying that those CO2 canisters that are sometimes used tfor paint ball are only sixteen dollars and last for six months???...i did not know that!

Ghim:..no not the the 120-180 gallon..that will come later..and you are right..i will shell out the money for that one..but i was talking about the 30 and 55 gallons ones.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
detritus

its seriously not ex...

was at NA the other day... basic 2L set costs less than $100... comes with 1 tank of CO2, manual regulator and diffuser.

if u want to invest in a JBJ solenoid then it gets a bit ex... less than $200... (the cheap "made in taiwan" one looked a bit flimsy IMHO)

i nearly bought 1 set there and then but scared bring home liao kena earful from my OC...

Last edited by detritus; 06-12-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Flightec

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritus View Post
its seriously not ex...

was at NA the other day... basic 2L set costs less than $100... comes with 1 tank of CO2, manual regulator and diffuser.

if u want to invest in a JBJ solenoid then it gets a bit ex... less than $200... (the cheap "made in taiwan" one looked a bit flimsy IMHO)

i nearly bought 1 set there and then but scared bring home liao kena earful from my OC...
Where is NA? got add?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightec View Post
Where is NA? got add?
Google map link

List of LFS

(list from AquaticQuotient.com)

Nature Aquarium (Nature, NA)
Blk 1, Thomson Road, #01-340, Balestier Hill Shopping Centre, Singapore 300001

Its opposite thomson medical centre.

Last edited by detritus; 06-12-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
ghim

I never told my OC the actual price If she knows how much I had spent in this hobby, it will be more than an earful.

I never realised topping up CO2 is so cheap either, until I bought it. I am using it my 100L tank.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghim View Post
I never told my OC the actual price If she knows how much I had spent in this hobby, it will be more than an earful.

I never realised topping up CO2 is so cheap either, until I bought it. I am using it my 100L tank.
eh... i dun dare lor... she will find out one...

she's quite involved in my tank and she goes with me to the LFS... she doesn't quite see the need lah... she's perfectly happy with plastic plants