Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #371
don90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
White's Tree frogs are now available at Hong Yang Aquarium, Sam Yick's Aquarium, Petmart, Green Chapter to name a few...

You guys can perhaps try to feed them other alternative food source like Frozen Turkistan roaches and Frozen Dubia roaches which are cleaner, healthier, no noise, best of all cheaper, meatier and can last longer then your average mealworms and crickets... you can go and google on Turkistan and Dubia Roaches for more info... I have been feeding mine for a while now and they can really grow fat from the roaches...
where to get the frozen roaches? and the frogs will eat food that doesn't move?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #372
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by don90 View Post
They are able to take dead food. Might have to move the food on the first try. Just starve them a few days and they will be eating the frozen food.
bettafantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #373
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
I have train my frogs to be hand fed, meaning anything I hold on my pinsettes or tweezers, they'll eat... and they'll be very excited whenever they see me near the tank coz they will know its Makan time!

The frozen roaches is available on www.eppaquastore.com and Hong Yang Aquarium at CCK Ave 4 Blk 306... Price is $1 per sachet of 30-40 Turkistan Roach and $95 if you get a big bag of 100 sachet... their shelve life is up to 2yrs if u keep them frozen... definitely better den crickets as they have more meat and they don't smell or make noise and best of all cheaper then crickets and mealworms...
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #374
don90

Quote:
I have train my frogs to be hand fed, meaning anything I hold on my pinsettes or tweezers, they'll eat... and they'll be very excited whenever they see me near the tank coz they will know its Makan time!

The frozen roaches is available on www.eppaquastore.com and Hong Yang Aquarium at CCK Ave 4 Blk 306... Price is $1 per sachet of 30-40 Turkistan Roach and $95 if you get a big bag of 100 sachet... their shelve life is up to 2yrs if u keep them frozen... definitely better den crickets as they have more meat and they don't smell or make noise and best of all cheaper then crickets and mealworms...
thnx for the recommendation. so you thaw it, dust with supplements then feed?

not sure if my frogs will take it. It doesn't like the frozen silkworm pupae for aro cos it didnt move lol. If only live dubia is available...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #375
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
thnx for the recommendation. so you thaw it, dust with supplements then feed?

not sure if my frogs will take it. It doesn't like the frozen silkworm pupae for aro cos it didnt move lol. If only live dubia is available...
Ya thaw first and dust supplements if you want... the thing with White's is you need to train them to be hand fed... once they are train, whatever thing you put in front of them, they'll grab...

Live roaches are like live centipedes, they are sadly ban by AVA due to safety reasons. So only frozen ones are available... but it's not an entirely bad thing coz frozen stuff will have their pros too... since they're farm raised and fed with clean and healthy food...
Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #376
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Ya thaw first and dust supplements if you want... the thing with White's is you need to train them to be hand fed... once they are train, whatever thing you put in front of them, they'll grab...

Live roaches are like live centipedes, they are sadly ban by AVA due to safety reasons. So only frozen ones are available... but it's not an entirely bad thing coz frozen stuff will have their pros too... since they're farm raised and fed with clean and healthy food...
Hmm...i do hand feed my frogs too but just feel that they might lose their hunting instinct one day?
Will it be better for them to hunt insects?
It acts as an exercise for them too? Rather than sit there and wait to be fed?
bettafantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #377
don90

Quote:

thanks.

I managed to feed one piece using wooden pincer.

But my second frog dun wanna eat it. How do you train them to be hand fed?

I tried moving the food with the pincer, throwing the food near it to make the frog think the insect is moving but its not working.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #378
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafantastic View Post
Hmm...i do hand feed my frogs too but just feel that they might lose their hunting instinct one day?
Will it be better for them to hunt insects?
It acts as an exercise for them too? Rather than sit there and wait to be fed?
Trust me, they will never forget how to hunt... I've tried it with my frogs and sometimes I still throw in live crickets or mealworms just to make them "exercise"...

but by hand feeding you can control how many they eat, whether they finish the crickets/mealworms and also prevent the crickets/mealworms from biting your frogs and escaping and becoming a household nuisance... and trust me, u do not want to have escape crickets, damn noisy buggers...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #379
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
thanks.

I managed to feed one piece using wooden pincer.

But my second frog dun wanna eat it. How do you train them to be hand fed?

I tried moving the food with the pincer, throwing the food near it to make the frog think the insect is moving but its not working.
training frogs to be hand fed is like training a arowana or bichir to eat dead food or frozen meat... either you starve them for a few days and then try with the frozen/dead food or mix the dead/live food together so that they get a taste of the food and they can somehow remember... I would recommend the first method as that's more or less quite proven...

This is one of my White's treefrogs feeding on Dubia roach...
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #380
don90

I think mine took a few bites and realized it couldn't swallow the frozen dubia then give up.

I switched to the forzen turkistan roach but it doesnt wanna eat already