Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #41
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

The more limitations I have on filtration, the more I'll have to rely on technology to solve my problems. Today's loot from the LFS after browsing the racks.. Purigen. Supposedly, this bottle should be sufficient for 1000L of water. Let's see if the aquarist grapevines are accurate..

1. Drastically reduces ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (although I also have the OF Hydra 50, which supposedly also does the same)

2. Polishes the water column (although I really fail to see how that can happen since its not meant to be mechanical; unless the micron bag is the one polishing the water instead of the Purigen)

Hopefully, this will allow me to slowly add in my 3rd, and final, tank occupant. Not sure what it'll be yet though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:40 AM   #42
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

By the way, back to the topic of arowana. Does anyone recommend dosing any arowana conditioners or vitamins..? I saw a bottle of arowana vitamins in liquid form by Azoo. Supposedly provides essential minerals and helps improve growth, vitality and overall wellbeing.

Gimmick? Or is there something better? Or no need at all?

Old 13-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #43
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Another update..

Yet another tank mate for my arowana. This one is a mid sized red hook that's introduced as a 'target fish' and to keep the XB occupied.

Also added yet another internal filter (Dymax eZ Filter EF-40) to replace the bra mesh bag and stuffed the MP spheres, Azoo 4-in-1 and Purigen into the huge compartments.

Old 13-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #44
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Arowana picture update..

Tank update..

Old 13-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #45
xzied
Dragon

Nice photography, why are u getting purigen? problem with nitrate? I think your tank a bit under filter, may have problem in the long run. I have a 5.5 ft with 4 ft sump and yet I still get undesirable nitrate reading with weekly water change.
xzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #46
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Just as a precaution mainly. I'm really trying to keep the bioload as low as possible while still having a showcase tank.

I'm relying exclusively on technology to handle the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That explains the Hydra 50 and the Purigen. I'm actually quite sure the filters can sufficiently handle the fish as long as I don't get lazy with the water changes. So far the fish have been growing well and colouring up nicely.

Old 13-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #47
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Just the Purigen alone is supposedly able to handle 1000L of water. My tank is lesser than half of that. Coupled with the Hydra 50, it should be keeping undesirables to a minimum.

Old 14-09-2015, 01:17 AM   #48
xzied
Dragon

your tank water looks clear as crystal! looks good, do you take any test on the reading? i saw hydra too on lfs, interesting tech, was tempted to get but the replacement cartridge is a bit pricey isn't it?
oh btw your aro is almost the same length as mine, how old is she and what do you feed?
xzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 01:50 AM   #49
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

The cartridge is not cheap, but it also doesnt need to be replaced very often. Just once a year will do.

I dont test my water params at all. I base it on the health of my fish. I also do wc twice weekly at 30-40% so i think that helps.

The arowana is about 9" now and ive had it for about 2 months now. Not sure of its exact age though. Bought from Qian Long and certified under SK Agritech.

The XB and Kelberi are both fed a staple diet of MP cubes. The arowana also takes floating pellets (OF AR-G2) and SW..

Old 16-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #50
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Sad day. Just noticed that my XB has an injured left pectoral. The hard ray tip is broken, probably self inflicted from knocking into something. These juveniles are really quite skittish compared to the adult ones.. Sigh.

Will it mend itself naturally, or should the tip be removed for it to regrow..?

Tough to see from the picture, but just to get a sense of where the damage is..