Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 23-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
dollsir

Default Cycle?

HI all,Pls advise

I have a mature 5x2x2 ft tank use to kept a aro.But due to the aro was a fussy eater and a jumper i decided to let go of it to the pond.I have always check water and the PH was always stable at 6-7 .No2 No3 was fine oso but the water clarity was not clear and green water.But for 1 good year i feel the fish is mot doing well therefore i gonna have another baby aro soon so my question as below before my new aro come into the tank.

Currently my tank is vacant ,fishless.So decide to cycle my tank again.I wash my filter,wash my biohome,but i throw away all my CR cos i feel my CR use for few years liao.So with new CR i set up my tank as usual,and i take reading everyday to ensure the day when my aro come in it will be safe and i also hope to see water clarity.

1st day
Put New CR,wash all my filter and biohome with tap water.antichlorine and set up.
Fill tank put Biomature Filter Start
Salt
Put 1 piece of MP

Reading
PH =7
Ammonia NO2 NO3= 0

2nd day
Put Nutrafin Cycle and another 1 piece MP only

PH= 5-5.5
Ammonia =0.25mg/L
NO2=0.1-0.3mg/L
No3=0

I know my tank is cycle only for 2 days,I know at least take weeks to wait for the Ammonia rise to highest and become NO2 then again become NO3 but my question is

1)am i doing the right thing??
2)Should i add in Nutrafin Cycle everyday?
3)And only 2nd day y my PH drop from 7 to 5?? very scary..How to make the PH stable huh?
4)And also mine is over flow system so every few days got to top up some water,so is it ok? when top up need add antichlorine?
5) so b4 the fish come.should i do WC?
6)How to achieve clear water?My aro tank always have bad clarity water but my tank of parrot which consist of 9 poo poo king,the water always clear.seldom sick only at times have white spot then on thermometer add salt for 1 week the most then ok.

Added advice will be appreciated..
Old 23-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
dollsir

Ya forget to add on i used to put CC in the old set up but now no put so should i place in??And ard how much to place in to get a stable reading of 6.5-6.8 since mine is a red aro
Old 23-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

1) yes u r doing the right method of cycling
2) i dun tink need to dose Nutrafin Cycle everyday
3) pH drop most probably due to the mp. is ur pH stable at 5 now? u need to start adding in CC/OS to buffer up ur pH to ur desired range
4) the amt of topup is negligible compared to the tank vol, so its ok. yes, better add some antichlorine
5) IMO, if ur parameters are stable, dun nid to wc
6) have sufficient medias = sufficient bb = clear water
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
clozzman
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
3) pH drop most probably due to the mp. is ur pH stable at 5 now? u need to start adding in CC/OS to buffer up ur pH to ur desired range
4) the amt of topup is negligible compared to the tank vol, so its ok. yes, better add some antichlorine
bro issac, sufficient BB really result clear water is it??
clozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clozzman View Post
bro issac, sufficient BB really result clear water is it??
BB is just one of the things that can help to achieve clear water. Others include your mechanical filtration, your tank maintenance, feeding methods and feed type, etc.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
clozzman
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
BB is just one of the things that can help to achieve clear water. Others include your mechanical filtration, your tank maintenance, feeding methods and feed type, etc.
ok i see. thnks bro!!^^
clozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
dollsir

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
Thank you for answering my question.. Ok so if my ph remain at 5 . So I k slowly bit by bit intro CC. What is OS?

So once is stable need not WC and k intro fish, so if fish inside for a week then WC?

How do we know we have sufficient media?? Cos my tank is those tank maker do and they just put many abt 70% of biohome and 30% of CR. So in fact all this media allow BB to cultivate?? Or should I put in more CR??

Lastly should I add in 1 piece of dead prawn everyday to cycle??

Thank you!!
Old 23-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
dollsir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Dunno leh with the same media same filter, my only Aro in upper tier 1 the water really clarity like Hoo ha.. And the feeding wad mp and the most 2 pc per day.

And yet my lower tank got 9 parrot fish , and they well know as poo poo king, I still feed them 2 times a day and everyday 2 times need to wash the magic clean paper becos if not the water can't seep thru. Imagine their sai a lot and yet the water clarity is great
Old 23-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollsir View Post
Thank you for answering my question.. Ok so if my ph remain at 5 . So I k slowly bit by bit intro CC. What is OS?

So once is stable need not WC and k intro fish, so if fish inside for a week then WC?

How do we know we have sufficient media?? Cos my tank is those tank maker do and they just put many abt 70% of biohome and 30% of CR. So in fact all this media allow BB to cultivate?? Or should I put in more CR??

Thank you!!
Hi. Just some thoughts. Since you are doing fishless cycling, my suggestion is to get some baking soda, slowly add in to your tank until your ph stabilises slightly above 6.0. Continue the cycling but try to maintain the ph above 6.0 with your adding of CC(coral chips)/OS(Oyster Shell) and/or baking soda. This is because, generally, at ph below 6.0, the re-production rate of BBs are drastically reduced and their efficiency at carrying out Nitrification is significantly affected as well.

Your current media setup looks good, using 70% BH and 30% CR.

Whether to add Nutrafin Cycle everyday or not is up to you. I believe the bottle instructions do indicate what the dosage method should be for new tank cylcing, water change, etc. I added Nutrafin Cycle everyday when I was cycling my 1.5ft-er. I only stopped when I detected my Nitrites level start falling. Cycled my tank in 6 days. Had a good load of ammonia to start off the cycling though, coz I was using ADA New Amazonia soil. Lots of "food" to sustain a larger and faster multiplication of the BB colony.

Last edited by Jon-san; 23-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollsir View Post

Thank you!!
OS is oyster shell. A substitute for CC.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote