Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 27-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #61
TwistedPair

Hey all!

re-arranged my tank today! please tell me what you think. i tried to create more of a focal point at the side of the tank. because the tank is at the corner of a wall.

hopefully it'll give the effect of leading up towards the "tree of life"! hahah not meant to look like a tree. just a figure of speech!

water is still slightly cloudy! will update again!

so here it is! some photos to share.

Old 27-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #62
Apistoinka

Nice set up bro... Well done... Maybe u can place bigger rock n place more rock near the wood area.... if tat is hc I suggest tat to be planted in smaller clump so they can spread faster... One thing to take note bro... Ur intake try to place it near the corner and at least 10cm above the soil... Keep the tall plants away from the intake or else it's gonna clog up ur intake...
Old 28-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #63
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apistoinka View Post
Nice set up bro... Well done... Maybe u can place bigger rock n place more rock near the wood area.... if tat is hc I suggest tat to be planted in smaller clump so they can spread faster... One thing to take note bro... Ur intake try to place it near the corner and at least 10cm above the soil... Keep the tall plants away from the intake or else it's gonna clog up ur intake...
hey there thanks! i tried to cut up the HC and spread them ard! they keep floating up. damn irritated so thought of trying it as one big lump now. as for the big rock? where to place it? in front of the wood? like no space lehh and no idea where to place it. thought it might be just kinda random. i was going for the for very foresty look and actually behind the wood is my co2 difuser and my air pump stone! hiak hiak! dint know right!! haha

and will take note about the intake issue.. hmmmm food for thought! wanted to use the tape grass to form like a backdrop..
Old 28-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #64
Apistoinka

Can try to add fern behind the wood to create wild look... The rock can place in front near the wood and around the wood will look nice... If u leave it as it is ur hair grass will eventually cover the wood n ur hc bro... Nice hide of ur pump n co2 bro...
Old 28-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #65
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Agree with bro Apisto on larger rocks. Once your hairgrass grows out, your rocks will all disappear. Intake pipe should shift to the corner coz this position looks out of place. One question, bro. If you are using a CO2 diffuser, why do you use aeration? Aeration will most likely cause your injected CO2 to be dispersed into the air above the tank faster, resulting in wastage. I suggest placing your CO2 diffuser near your filter return outlet, for better dispersion of the CO2. If you want to maintain the airstone in the tank, it's fine, but switch it on at the end of your photo period or at night. With a sufficient volume of plants, you prob won't even need the airstone at night, since by the end of the photo period, your water should already be heavily enriched with enough oxygen to support both your flora and fauna through the night.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #66
TwistedPair

haha thanks guys!

@apistoinka i'll think about using ferns! maybe i'll go look ard for nice ones. any to recommend? and rocks - so not really one big huge ass one lah! maybe to just line it ard the wood area?

@jon-san yes yes bro! i alternate my co2 and air pump.. co2 in the morning and air pump at night! because at the start. i saw my tetras - like panting. and i realise they always die over the night. so adding the pump was just a trial and error. and now im just too lazy to dismenatle and keep.

but on the whole i still think my tank is rather messy.. probably have to wait a few weeks to let it settle. flora to take roots and whatever. i will update with photos again soon!!
Old 28-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #67
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

It will look a lot better once your hairgrass spreads. But i tink your HC will suffer. At the rate your hairgrass is spreading, the HC will prob get smothered out. Plus your tank temp is on the higher side of HC requirements, the growth rate may be affected. Anyways, regarding the rocks, I don't think you need to get 1 huge ass one bah. Just taller rocks, so that when your hairgrass spreads and gets to full height, your rocks will still be visible. Else, shift the smaller rocks to the front lor.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #68
TwistedPair

hey just need to check on something! i noticed one of my tetras having a "puffy eye"

what causes it and how do i treat it? but more importantly is it contagious? i went down to a LFS nearby also say one of the LFS cardinal tetras having the same thing. one of them had a puffy eye.
Old 28-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #69
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
hey just need to check on something! i noticed one of my tetras having a "puffy eye"

what causes it and how do i treat it? but more importantly is it contagious? i went down to a LFS nearby also say one of the LFS cardinal tetras having the same thing. one of them had a puffy eye.
sorry i meant to say "a LFS nearby also has one of the LFS cardinal tetras having a puffy eyed tetra."
Old 28-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #70
Apistoinka

Yup bro jus get those seriyu rocks size bigger than wat u are using now... Lay it infront around the wood area... Best is the rock under those branch areA...

As for fern u can get java fern or needle leaves java fern will do a great look around the wood... Some petite nana will be great too...