Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Flowerhorn Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

Default Differentiation between ZZ and Kamfa

This is my own interpretation and it is meant to be used only as a guide to assist newbies who want to learn how to ID a Zhen Zhu (Pearl Luohan) from a Kamfa (Flower Luohan). It is by no means exhaustive as I may have left out some distinguishing features of the 2 breeds. Hope experts will come in to correct any mistakes and to fill in the void.

Forehead/Hump/Kok – The forehead of a Kamfa rises higher than a regular Zhen Zhu and can grow into a round and huge water kok above the head when the fish is bigger.

Side of Forehead – Zhen Zhu has more conspicuous black markings on the side of the forehead compared to Kamfa.

Flowerline - The flowerline of a Kamfa is not as neat and organized as a regular Zhen Zhu. Most of them are uneven and some Kamfa may not even have any flowerline on their bodies. Many Zhen Zhu have straight and well-defined flowerline (single or double rows) across their bodies.

Lips – The lips of a Kamfa are smooth and circular. The lower lip of a regular Zhen Zhu tends to stick out and the upper lip is shorter, giving the impression of a protruding lower jaw. A Kamfa’s mouth is usually shorter than that of a regular Zhen Zhu.

Face - The face of a Kamfa is smooth and chubby and resembles a human baby’s face. The face of most regular Zhen Zhu has more wrinkles and will look like an old folk when the fish gets older.

Eyes – The eyes of a Zhen Zhu are bigger, protruding and red in colour. Kamfa’s eyes are smaller, inset and can be white or red in colour.

Finnages – The dorsal and anal fins of a Kamfa are closer to the caudal fin or tail and are pointed backwards. Some of them even touch or overlap the edges of the tail and make the fish looks like it has one continuous finnage (called wrap tail). The fins of a regular Zhen Zhu are usually further away from the tail and point upwards (for dorsal fin) and downwards (for anal fin) – resulting in some people calling them “wong fei hong” fins.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

Peduncle & Tail - The peduncle of a Kamfa is shorter, thicker and broader than the peduncle of a regular Zhen Zhu. That is why the Kamfa has a harder and stronger tail structure compared to regular Zhen Zhu. Kamfa’s tail tends to look like an opened fan whereas a regular Zhen Zhu’s tail is softer and rounded, and tends to droop (Dropped Tail) when the fish gets bigger and older.

Body - A Zhen Zhu’s body is more angular in shape whereas a Kamfa’s is broader and more squarish. This, together with the strong tail structure mentioned above, makes the Kamfa looks like a powerful swimmer in the water.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

My President.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBubble View Post
My President.
walan eh.... today u very free hor.... got anything to contribute n add on bo?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
chaos
Senior Dragon

Stick this to FAQ as well.....
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Err... Mr. President, i think the illustrations good to show people zz and kf.

And i also feel this is where misconceptions about GM originate, came about.

There's no Huakok classification and people thought from zz blood... like some people saying GM is a name for zz breed la... this and that.

GM came first. Say what?

There are some people who think anything coming out of a book, or the lack thereof, is never wrong and you know how easy it is to sway people with words.

Another reason why the forum gets heated up sometimes... some think its word on paper, black and white, never wrong, so must fight until the word gets right.

Think as soon as the opportunity arises, the zhenzhu jinhua differentiation pics from this book should be scrap due to info omission, or the lack thereof, therefore misleading, to be viewed with reprehension.

What do you think, your highness? Ha... not like that la. I'm just glad you are leading us is all.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Bryan
Dragon

Thanks for sharing
i agree with bro chaos
Closed Thread