Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 30-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
huizhong

Default Big eats small

Hi guys, I was looking at one of my favourite shrimp(1.5cm big) which belongs to Cardinia family, for quite a while Today there were some new born neocardinia shimplets and 1 of the shrimplet was crawling near my favorite shrimp. The shrimp just took his chance and get on top of the shrimplet and grab it and start eating it!!! Wow!!!
Old 30-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
lucas_1957
Dragon

You should put some moss to ensure that the shrimplets will have hiding placed to avoid the adults.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Eugene THS

the two families wont get along they will fight try not to put them together or put more hidding spot by the way did u feed them well?
Old 30-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
jamiex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizhong View Post
Hi guys, I was looking at one of my favourite shrimp(1.5cm big) which belongs to Cardinia family, for quite a while Today there were some new born neocardinia shimplets and 1 of the shrimplet was crawling near my favorite shrimp. The shrimp just took his chance and get on top of the shrimplet and grab it and start eating it!!! Wow!!!
Wow. I'm surprised as usually shrimps don't take on shrimplets unless they are sick or weak or something....unless it's Yamato then maybe there's a risk.

Ya did u stop feeding for a few days? The big shrimp could be starved.
Old 31-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
redsuns
Arofanatic

My guess is that the shrimplet is already very weak and dying off, that is when other shrimps will try to eat it,
redsuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
huizhong

Yes I fed them well and there are leftover food in the tank.

The shrimplets were newborn a few hours ago before this thing happened.
There are not many hiding places as I want to see my shrimps.
So is it true these 2 families will keep fighting?
Old 31-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
alvinchan80

The shrimp from the caridina family is a CRS? The shrimplet is from which species?
Normally these doesnt happen as I have neocaridina together with my caridina as well. (unless I dont see it and they are having a buffet of each other)

Normally when cannibalism is present only when the shrimp is weak or dying, will the shrimps starts to 'attack' and eats it. Have seen a live shrimp being attacked & bitten, but can tell from the color of its body & actions that it is already weak and cannot defend itself anymore.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
huizhong

So there is still possibly a chance that a Crs adult preying upon a new born cherry? Maybe it's fate the little shrimplet cross the crs path and got pinned Down and raped+murder!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
alvinchan80

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizhong View Post
So there is still possibly a chance that a Crs adult preying upon a new born cherry? Maybe it's fate the little shrimplet cross the crs path and got pinned Down and raped+murder!
it shouldn't be preying but its more of a 'chance of survival'.. if they are starved and since they are scavengers, once they have the chance to get a bite of something smaller, den why not?

Maybe thats the animal kingdom where the strong preys on the weak... Till now i have seen a number of cannibalism where a group of CRS will take nibbles on 1 poor CRS which is dying for obvious reasons being that the colors turning dull and movements are no longer smooth..

All these cannot be avoided but only gives them the best conditions for them to grow & breed... Cheers..