Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #91
angelo
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panut View Post
Disease are split into two big groups, one that can survive in salt water, and one that cannot. By adding salt, the bacteria and disease that can only survive in freshwater would not be present. If something happens, then we can eliminate some of the possible causes and act on the current situation. For example, changing back to freshwater, or other medications.
Bingo! Smart!
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #92
aroflim

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Ammonia is NH3 and ammonium is NH4. With biological filter, will be converted into NO2 and in-turn converted into NO3.

As mentioned in earlier post, guppies do need salt. However, not nececssary from water that we add. They can obtain salt from their food.

Question: What is the purpose of adding salt into guppy tank water?
haha. i mixed up NH3 and NH4 with nitrite and nitrate.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #93
aroflim

Quote:
Disease are split into two big groups, one that can survive in salt water, and one that cannot. By adding salt, the bacteria and disease that can only survive in freshwater would not be present. If something happens, then we can eliminate some of the possible causes and act on the current situation. For example, changing back to freshwater, or other medications.
I see. Very useful tips.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #94
Panut

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Bingo! Smart!
I still got much to learn from you, Doctor (Michael)Angelo

Now with salt in the tank, acclimatising a new guppy into the tank must be gradual, especially if the new guppy comes from pure freshwater. Difference in salinity and sudden change of water parameters may cause the guppy to be stressed, making it vulnerable to disease, which may ultimately prove to be fatal.

I personally like to use the drip method to acclimatise all my new fishes. No casualties so far.

I believe many people keep guppies without a filtration system, or without a good filtration system.. That isn't a problem, many dedicated guppy breeders around the world have been successful with the 100% WC daily and a sponge filter only.. In my humble opinion though, with a good mechanical and bio filtration system, keeping more sensitive strains such as delta tails, RREA, solid colours would be much easier without having to worry about bad water parameters which may cause fin rot, clamp fins, etc etc. Even then, i still change 30%-50% of my water daily. So far so good, hopefully my guppies will pass away naturally due to old age
Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #95
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

can someone summarise this part for me so that can add in to the list in the first message
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #96
Panut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
can someone summarise this part for me so that can add in to the list in the first message
Hi bro, summarize which part?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #97
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

think starting from post 87 onwards..
Old 06-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #98
Panut

What is the purpose of adding salt into guppy tank water?

Quote:
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #99
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

thread 87 to 95....
Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #100
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

think I will start another locked thread and update all the inputs from you guys so as to keep it simple for reading. We will use this thread to recieve the inputs and I will update the other thread.. any objections?