Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
amiidae

Default Marine sand vs FW sand for Tanga tank

Hey guys,

I am contemplating to change one of my tank gravel. Problem is, I like the color of the marine sand more than the FW sand that is available to me at this moment.

May I know what are the impact interm of water parameter and impact on the fishes ?

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
leong26

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
Hey guys,

I am contemplating to change one of my tank gravel. Problem is, I like the color of the marine sand more than the FW sand that is available to me at this moment.

May I know what are the impact interm of water parameter and impact on the fishes ?
Hi bro amiidae, just to share my own pov, i would think that by removing and adding sand directly at the same time/day would be a risk. maybe u will have to removing it slowly bit by bit everyday for a week ,wc in between.then let the water/fish stable for another week, wc in between.

On the 3rd week onwards then start to add new sand again slowly bit by bit for a week,wc in between. ofcourse this is my own version and i'm not sure whether or not this is the correct way of doing it, just to share my views only.

But i think our mod(kenneth) will be able to answer these qns correctly.

For me currently i looking for those(caribsea aragonite seafloor special grade reef sand) to be use on my yet to be setup 5.5ft tangan tank.

My decision to go with caribsea aragonite is becos it is free of silica and able to buffer ph up to 8.5. but dunno how much is for the 18kg bag cost.

As for you bro amiidae, what types of seasand are you going to use? can you share with me?

Last edited by leong26; 01-05-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
amiidae

The tank involved does not have any fish at the moment, so no issue abt loosing fish during the change.

Have you tried "caribsea aragonite" ?

For me, I saw some FW and marine sand under SUDO packing. another brand is GEX FW sand.

I texted Kenneth abt this, but decided to post this up for general discussion and also to seek other opinions.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
leong26

No i have not use it yet cos d 5.5ft will only setup on tues, now i'm on 2tier 422 with river sand, what i gather is that those angmo tangan forum ppl there who use it with tropheus tank give thumbsup for these caribsea aragonite seafloor reef sand or those aragomax fine sea sand, best of all is they can buffer ph upto 8.5, so for me this is a great sand to have in an tangan tank, but i ask nks b4 too bad they dont carry this brand, and i have no ideal how much is the actual cost, i est should be around $150-200 for a bag of 18kg bah,
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
foreverfrontosa
Senior Dragon

Sorry Ben, what is FW sand? Pardon my ignorance
foreverfrontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
amiidae

FW = freshwater

Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
desmondekker

sudo with the cory on the packaging? i have a pack of them, very high quality subtrate i'd say, i poured in everything without washing, water cleared up in 1 hr. quite pricey tho. marine sand gets quite unsightly after a while.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Tonytlk
Arofanatic

Am using Natures Ocean Black Beach Sand mixed with Playsand in my 5Ft tank setup.

Bought the Black Beach sand from a Marine shop, but don't see this sand under their substrate poduct now.. only Aragonite Black sand.
Tonytlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondekker View Post
sudo with the cory on the packaging? i have a pack of them, very high quality subtrate i'd say, i poured in everything without washing, water cleared up in 1 hr. quite pricey tho. marine sand gets quite unsightly after a while.
ya, thats the one but I find them kind of reddish and dark thats why I didn't pick that up.

I went for GEX cory sand and mix with SUDO marine sand at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytlk View Post
Am using Natures Ocean Black Beach Sand mixed with Playsand in my 5Ft tank setup.

Bought the Black Beach sand from a Marine shop, but don't see this sand under their substrate poduct now.. only Aragonite Black sand.
ya, those black live sand is not easy to obtain these days. where did you get the Aragonite Black sand ?

btw, are they "safe" for small sand shifter ?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Tonytlk
Arofanatic

ya, those black live sand is not easy to obtain these days. where did you get the Aragonite Black sand ?

btw, are they "safe" for small sand shifter ?[/QUOTE]

Bought from AquaMarine at Jalan Kayu.

Yes they are, have a number of Xeno ochrogenys in there.
Tonytlk is offline   Reply With Quote