Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 25-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Hi sorry guys, here is a little update of my tank ... Last week it got really terribly infested with hair algae so I put in some Yamato to clear them up ! They are really efficient 'cleaners' !

Check out my pictures,

fadedloves92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

continueeeee ...

One of them even molt today !

Old 25-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
No updates on the FTS?

Hi Jon bro, sorry. Please see the next page for my little update, please provide me some guidance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseaman67 View Post
I always admire planted tank cos i feel alot of time needed to maintain the plants in the tank.
Yup true !

Quote:
Originally Posted by saboteur View Post
Will be good if you add a little hardscapes in there. About the size of your wooden table... ... Please be careful, a slight nudge on the side of the tank and your tank will be found plummeting towards the ground by the next second you turn your head.
Okay bro ! Thanks for the reminder ! It is actually at a corner where people do not walk ... I will be extra careful !
Old 25-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
peanut8787
Arofanatic

I suspect algae is on its way
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Heuer
Dragon

looking at those algae on your tank wall, i think you need to lower your wattage and photoperiod.
add some floating plants to help you to absorb extra nutrients as your existing plants are still not mature yet. once everything is settle down, you can remove the floating plants.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut8787 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
looking at those algae on your tank wall, i think you need to lower your wattage and photoperiod.
add some floating plants to help you to absorb extra nutrients as your existing plants are still not mature yet. once everything is settle down, you can remove the floating plants.
Agree with you guys. One thing I would advise is, take your big clumps of hairgrass and break them up into smaller clumps. Your hairgrass will spread faster that way. Also, do note that once your hair algae is finished, the next to go will be your hairgrass. 5 yamatos took out almost $10 worth of hairgrass in my previous setup in 3 days... Essentially cropped my hairgrass to soil level.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut8787 View Post
Yup bro, it has begin to grow slowly on the walls too -.- ! I am getting sick of it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
I shall do as you recommended, but will the floating plant absorb all my nurtirents for the other plants ? and will they block the light that is going into my tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Agree with you guys. One thing I would advise is, take your big clumps of hairgrass and break them up into smaller clumps. Your hairgrass will spread faster that way. Also, do note that once your hair algae is finished, the next to go will be your hairgrass. 5 yamatos took out almost $10 worth of hairgrass in my previous setup in 3 days... Essentially cropped my hairgrass to soil level.

Oh man, I am getting really worried. These Yamato are really big eaters in my tank ! I will sell or give them away ASAP ! So now I should remove them and replant ? But I am afraid I will stir up the ammonia on the soil.

Anyway can any bro , tell me what is the light period that I should on ?
My Tank : 60 X 28 X 31cm , currently I am using a 24wX2 light , I have already reduce to 4 hours by breaking up into 2 sessions.

Can any bro advise your opinion ?

Thank you.
Old 27-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Heuer
Dragon

your 1 x 24w is enough for the tank. start with 5 hrs and slowly increase by 1/2 hr till 8 hrs once you see your plants start growing.

you have very low plant mass to begin with. therefore, floating plants will not starve your other plants. try planting more so that your plants will out compete with algae for nutrients.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote