Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
koijunior

Default Regarding koi jumping

Is it true that as long as i keep the water parameters right and the koi free from any kind of stress ( such as introducing a predatory fish ), the koi will not attempt to jump out from the FGT ?

I doesn't want to place a net over my FGT because it looks rather unsightly.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
taizi
Dragon

need to have a leader ~ and koi's tend to be monkey see monkey do !
taizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by koijunior View Post
Is it true that as long as i keep the water parameters right and the koi free from any kind of stress ( such as introducing a predatory fish ), the koi will not attempt to jump out from the FGT ?

I doesn't want to place a net over my FGT because it looks rather unsightly.
Hi,

koi can jump for many reasons, you can't be sure.
Even when you switch on/off lights, loud sound, or thunder etc.

I just heard someone had a 70+cm koi jump out of his pond yesterday.....
Large koi tend to be clamer...but such things still happened.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Sinubux

It is better to cover the pond with a nylon mesh for precautionary measures during the night.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
kutekoi
Arofanatic

Agree with bro Sinubux. Would be best to cover with mesh when no one at home or at night - especially first couple of weeks when your kois are new to the environment. Enjoy the hobby!
kutekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
koiluver
Arofanatic

I don't put a net over my 6ft FGT so I have to take every precaution to minimize the risk.

This is what I do -

1. Choose a black color FGT.
2. Put it at a place I think is less stressful for the Koi.
3. I bought kois which were quarantined and got the farm to check they were free from parasites.
4. I remember one golden rule - never introduce new Koi without quarantine. It happens, when koi newly from farm is added, existing kois tend to jump. I decided the number of Kois I could take in my FGT and not adding anymore later.
5. I started with low water level and increased water slowly when the Kois had settled down. It took two weeks just to play safe. I filled the water to six inches below the edge.
6. I pay close attention to water maintenance. When water condition deteriorates, kois become nervous and risk of jumping is high.
7. At low PH, kois are more sensitive. I keep PH above 7 although I like a lower PH for Kois.
8. I don't switch on light which shine on the FGT at night.
9. Strong low vibration wave from door slamming and heavy vehicle passing by, frighten the Kois. My FGT is outdoor.
10. Always approach the kois from the same direction for feeding and viewing.

Kois with a net over them are more sensitive when the net is lifted up for viewing. I observed this at farms.
koiluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
bingkla

I had for many years used nets, stiff plastic mesh etc, but i cant see my kois well !!

Finally this year I removed them and now have a barrier about 8 in high all round using stiff plastic mesh, great visibility.

One think I have learnt, you cant stop them from jumping. I have lost at least 6 medium size kois over last few years. Just pray n hope when they jump, someone is around to see it.

The last one that jumped before my barrier thru a crack in my netting had died as the mouth was no longer moving. I held it in my hand and placed it in front of my pump to force water thru the gills for about 10 mins, let it go, it sank to the bottom, but after 15 mins came back alive !! I am a miracle maker !! haha
Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Wilgan
Dragon

I only cover for a few days when it's a new setup or introduction of new kois. The rest of the time i dun cover at all. Think good water parameters are most important to ensure lower chances of jumping. Sometimes they jump due to playfulness too.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
taizi
Dragon

kois are playful :P
taizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
ahpek_lion
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilgan View Post
I only cover for a few days when it's a new setup or introduction of new kois. The rest of the time i dun cover at all. Think good water parameters are most important to ensure lower chances of jumping. Sometimes they jump due to playfulness too.
sometimes i see my koi playing near the water surface at night. They often swim at the corner and chase each other round n round. sometimes play too rough, they start splashing water
ahpek_lion is offline   Reply With Quote