Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 19-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #41
KaLiB

I don't think removal is necessary. I remember you can drill a hole along the outlet pipe(near the outlet itself) so that when there's a black flow, air will be sucked in and break the siphon of water from the maintank to the sump.
Anyone who has done this before can help? I'm not certain where should the hole be drilled at.

Removal isn't too wise as water could splash down like an OHF filter outlet and cause bubbling which results in salt spray. Another disadvantage is that the outlet will no longer serve as a source of aeration as the water coming out from the outlet cannot move the water surface.
Old 19-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #42
stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
I don't think removal is necessary. I remember you can drill a hole along the outlet pipe(near the outlet itself) so that when there's a black flow, air will be sucked in and break the siphon of water from the maintank to the sump.
Anyone who has done this before can help? I'm not certain where should the hole be drilled at.

Removal isn't too wise as water could splash down like an OHF filter outlet and cause bubbling which results in salt spray. Another disadvantage is that the outlet will no longer serve as a source of aeration as the water coming out from the outlet cannot move the water surface.
Yar, just try removing it and it resulted in bubbling. Ya, no more moving of the water surface except downwards So I guess I shouldn't remove it. Pros > Cons?
Old 19-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #43
stix

Hi, I just cycled with a sand bed yesterday. I added some rocks today. (They are dead rocks actually, left them lying around for a couple of weeks without water..) Probably the ammonia level will shoot up soon. When am I supposed to do the water testing?

Old 21-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #44
stix

Did some water testing these 2 days
PH = 7.7 to 8.0
Ammonia = 1.5mg/l
Nitrite = <0.3mg/l

Old 29-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #45
stix

Just got myself a dymax T5 HO Quad Light. Is it good? I feel that it's not 'blue' enough.

On with only blue light
Old 29-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #46
bluezing

too blue very uncomfortable to the eyes (im one victim) and might not be gd enuff for the corals in the long run (as per kalib's advise in my thread) hehe..

anyway.. waiting for further updates on ur tank bro~
Old 29-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #47
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix
Yar, just try removing it and it resulted in bubbling. Ya, no more moving of the water surface except downwards So I guess I shouldn't remove it. Pros > Cons?
The bubbling is bad, after sometime you will find salt crystals growing near the area(could be on the tank glass, pipe or even outside the tank). These salt crystals would grow overtime and can cause serious corrosion to metallic items near the setup.

The movement of water surface is good, it encourages aeration yet it eliminates the bubbling which causes salt spray.

What's the wattage of the dymax light? How many bulbs?
Old 29-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #48
stix

Quote:
The bubbling is bad, after sometime you will find salt crystals growing near the area(could be on the tank glass, pipe or even outside the tank). These salt crystals would grow overtime and can cause serious corrosion to metallic items near the setup.

The movement of water surface is good, it encourages aeration yet it eliminates the bubbling which causes salt spray.

What's the wattage of the dymax light? How many bulbs?
Yup, I left it as what it's seen in the picture now! no more bubbling.

Wattage is 24W per tubes. 4 tubes in total.
Power stated there is 96W (24W X 4). Was told that this is a HO T5.
Old 29-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #49
KaLiB

Yup, this is definitely a HO T5. With your current lights, you fulfill the light requirement of a wide range of corals.
Old 30-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #50
stix

Quote:
Yup, this is definitely a HO T5. With your current lights, you fulfill the light requirement of a wide range of corals.
Ah, I see. Thanks. Gonna add more live rocks in and cycle it!