Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
wlchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThErMuS
I have a marine tank for about a year plus... Without any corals... just some tangs and angels.. i have a problem... my KH is always so high... anyway to lower it??????
What is your PH level? It is interesting..did you dose anything recently?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by angmoh
so meaning that the low kh is due to low CA as well ? so i hv to dose KW ? hehe , cos i never add any additivies to my reef tank. btw most corals i'm keeping is shrooms and buttons
Low KH , High calcium. High KH , low calcium . Check ur MG level . All this had make me gone crazy liao.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThErMuS
if tt the case...corals wont open up also?
U just say your system have fish only! U haven't tell us wat have u dose or what's your test reading? if your dkh is really high then i assume that u have high pH too. Corals will still open even with high dkh unless it's way very high.
Test ur dkh and calcium then post it here.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
subxero

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Low KH , High calcium. High KH , low calcium . Check ur MG level . All this had make me gone crazy liao.
I'm going mad trying to get everything in correct order too.. I hate chemistry..
Old 04-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
dradttg

Quote:
so meaning that the low kh is due to low CA as well ? so i hv to dose KW ? hehe , cos i never add any additivies to my reef tank. btw most corals i'm keeping is shrooms and buttons
Like what Bro Monster says, KH and Ca are always opposite. Dosing one will decrease the other. However in my tank, I do find that KH drops much faster the Ca. I only dose Ca once every 2 months but I have to dose KH twice a week to maintain my KH at 10.

Dosing KW will not help. KW is meant to maintain the KH and Ca at a current level. It will not increase either one of them.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #16
flame angel

Quote:
sorry to hijiack , but my kh is about 6-7, is it considered low ?

and from that, can i know my CA level without the CA test kit ?
Hi angmoh,
If u have done any regular water changes & without dosing any Ca before, then I guess your Ca would be around 200-250ppm, which is on the low side & just enough to sustain soft corals, seriously could not keep any LPS in long term. A good start of carbonate hardness would be 8-10 dkh. Your reading of 6-7 dkk which is very low, so I suspect u might not change any water or not changing very often. Out tap water has a reading of more than 8dkh with those salt mixes, u can test it yourself to verify that. Lastly, if u want long term success with corals you should get a good Ca test kit e.g. salifert and dose Ca with testing. Kalkawasser which is a good Ca supplement, it supports dkh also.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #17
flame angel

Quote:
Low Ca has nothing to do with low kh. In my previous post I’ve said that they existed in Hi-Lo relationship. That’s to say that if u have a tub of salt water, it can only contain a fixed amount of Calcium and carbonate hardness. More calcium will make less room for KH, & versus versa. e.g. if u have 450ppm then very likely you will have 8-10 dkh, or 250 ppm, 14 dkh. Most aquarist maintain high calcium and low kh because most corals can be grown in this kind of setting. U can’t push both Ca & Kh to the higher end though, u might risk your system to crash if they fall out of solution.

Assuming that:
U want to make a cup of coffee, the coffee powder is calcium & pure sugar is KH. The cup is your fish tank. U have a fixed rule here: 1)If u want a cup of strong coffee then more coffee powder is added, with enough sugar to make it taste good. U make a cup of good coffee. 2)If u love sweet and dislike strong coffee, then u can add more sugar & less coffee powder. In the end u make 2 cups of good coffee. Now image the 1st scenario, more coffee powder & less sugar added, u think it’s not sweet enough so u add sugar. At this point the coffee is almost reaching the rim of the cup. If u continue to add more sugar, what happen then? Of course the cup overflow, coffee spilled everywhere! So always remember that u can have so much quantities of Ca & KH, anything exceeding natural level can be disastrous to your system.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #18
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradttg
Like what Bro Monster says, KH and Ca are always opposite. Dosing one will decrease the other. However in my tank, I do find that KH drops much faster the Ca. I only dose Ca once every 2 months but I have to dose KH twice a week to maintain my KH at 10.

Dosing KW will not help. KW is meant to maintain the KH and Ca at a current level. It will not increase either one of them.
Because Ca has a larger pool of quantities than carbonate hardness, if u do dose 2 parts suppliment KH will dip in time. So minor correction need to be done very often to adjust DKH to correct the imbalance.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #19
loster

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero
I'm going mad trying to get everything in correct order too.. I hate chemistry..
hahaha... that's is fun about chemistry. my mg always at the low side till i replace 1/3 of my tank vol mix salt water and now my mg is on the high side i guess coralife salt have a high mg
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #20
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Check your MG and tell us your PH?

Regards