Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 20-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
KaLiB

There are actually a lot of dangerous things from the sea that should be handled with care. If in doubt, its best to avoid handling with bare hands and to use a net/glove. You should also always wash your hands & arms(if you wet them) with soap after handling the aquarium. Therefore, its important to do ample research before making any purchase, not just to learn how to care for the fish but also any potential hazards.

Just to quote some examples, for hitchhikers, critters like large crabs, mantis shrimps should be handled with care as they can inflict serious wounds. As mentioned earlier, bristleworms can cause a nasty sting.

For fishes, quoting some examples, fish like lionfish or rabbitfishes that are sold routinely at LFS have venomous spines and should only be handled with a net/sieve or thick rubber gloves if you have to use your hands. Eels can inflict a nasty bite that can result in infection as they have bacteria in their mouth.
Old 20-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #32
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

i would say if you are handling ur live rocks, use thick gloves. i have seen people who got a scratched from their LR and the arm went on to swell for months.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #33
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

For corals, zoanthids are poisonous and they squirts, so wear eye gear and gloves when handling them too. unless you're fragging them, they rarely squirts.. i think someone went blind on one eye before after being squirted in the eye.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #34
KaLiB

Just to add on, another point to note is that if you have any open wounds in your hands or arms, its best to avoid exposing the wounds to the tank water as there is a risk of infection.

Yes, I've read of a similar case as well regarding zoanthoids, the guy didn't go blind but he had to deal with a serious eye infection after rubbing his eye without washing his hands.
Old 21-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
i would say if you are handling ur live rocks, use thick gloves. i have seen people who got a scratched from their LR and the arm went on to swell for months.
fully agreed...handling LRs with bare hands also will be pricked by invisible bristles ! i use a glove all the time.
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #36
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Great Lucky i asked hehe.

I am so using glove for whatever i am gonna do with my Marine Tank!

Thanks guys if not i would have been the next person with those problems with my eye and stuff

=D
Jackyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #37
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Hey guys,

I manage to find someone clearing his Live Rocks.

However he already decommed long ago i guess.

The Live Rock is already dry and whole thing white.

Any advise on this before i proceed with the deal?

- Recommended?

- What to look out for?

- Whats the difference during cycling comparing those Still in water live rock and this type of already dead live rock other than needing to add my own source of ammonia? (Sorry dont know the terms)

- Pros and Cons?

- Any other comments?

Thanks alot. =D
Old 23-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
KaLiB

Its pretty much up to your own preference IMO. They would still serve the same purpose in biological filtration but that's about all that you would get. You wouldn't get any good stuff like pods(some fish like mandarin fish feed on these for food) or coralline algae and neither would you get any pests like bristleworms or mantis shrimps. For me, I still prefer to buy liverocks for the coralline algae, pods and any other good stuff that might have hitchhiked along and deal with the pests later on.

Generally, for dead rocks, you can do a visual inspection to see if they are too dirty or not. Its better to give them a good scrubbing down with a brush and water before use.

The main difference when it comes to cycling is that if you are starting off with dead rocks, you would need a small piece of market prawn to kick start the cycling process.
Old 23-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Its pretty much up to your own preference IMO. They would still serve the same purpose in biological filtration but that's about all that you would get. You wouldn't get any good stuff like pods(some fish like mandarin fish feed on these for food) or coralline algae and neither would you get any pests like bristleworms or mantis shrimps. For me, I still prefer to buy liverocks for the coralline algae, pods and any other good stuff that might have hitchhiked along and deal with the pests later on.

Generally, for dead rocks, you can do a visual inspection to see if they are too dirty or not. Its better to give them a good scrubbing down with a brush and water before use.

The main difference when it comes to cycling is that if you are starting off with dead rocks, you would need a small piece of market prawn to kick start the cycling process.
Hey bro thanks for your prompt reply.

Guess imma stick to live ones coz it sounds more interesting

=D
Old 28-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyx View Post
Hey bro thanks for your prompt reply.

Guess imma stick to live ones coz it sounds more interesting

=D
i do use 'dead' rocks for my tank and overtime, purplish/pinkish 'stains' starts to appear . It will go back to ' livemode' given time no worries.
The good thing is potentially no pest !!!
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote