Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 28-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

my beamswork 6x3w comes with 4 white 2 blue.. should be enough.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #52
illumnae
Dragon

Just keep your CA/Alk/Mg high through regular water changes and you will find the coralline algae will grow for you. Don't worry too much about it during the cycling stage - your concern now should be stable parameters. Just keep the light off during the entire cycling process imo. No need for lights when culturing bb after all.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #53
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Just keep your CA/Alk/Mg high through regular water changes and you will find the coralline algae will grow for you. Don't worry too much about it during the cycling stage - your concern now should be stable parameters. Just keep the light off during the entire cycling process imo. No need for lights when culturing bb after all.
noted! thanks for advice!
Old 29-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #54
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Anyway i got this idea... i bought a inlet sponge (those that protect freshwater shrimplets from being sucked into the filter inlet) that will remove any debris and large particle stuff, and took out the cartridge in my filter.. So since i'll be getting dymax IQ skimmer to try out (will change to sanders 2 airwood) im thinking of putting it inside my filter.. will this work? meaning the skimmer is sitting in a pool of faster moving water witho nly around 15cm height.. will it be able to skim? if not have to put inside tank already..
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #55
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Some updates.. changed the carbon and resin in my crystal pro and im finally getting 0 TDS!

anyway, installed my IQ skimmer(changed the wood to sanders 2) yesterday in my HOB and surprisingly, it fits perfectly. after running for a day, its starting to skim some light yellowish color.. will stop skimming tomorrow and let the tank cycle.

filtration, had to leave the lid off.. the white filter bag contains some rowaphos.. will be adding purigen when tank finish cycling.

did a slight rescape.. should be more circulation now among the rocks.

Noticed some of this small white dots that are alive and moving.. what are they?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #56
xersion
Dragon

white stuff should be pods... good for the tank
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #57
illumnae
Dragon

I prefer your new scape, much nicer! And more importantly...lots of space for corals

Be careful with the electrical plugs behind your filter. Any splashing may create danger
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #58
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xersion View Post
white stuff should be pods... good for the tank
great to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
I prefer your new scape, much nicer! And more importantly...lots of space for corals

Be careful with the electrical plugs behind your filter. Any splashing may create danger
yeah indeed much more space for corals! yeah though its a good 15cm away but have to be really careful..
Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #59
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

today is day 3 of running my IQ skimmer and i noticed the IQ skimmer is skimming green colored skimmate.. any reason why? should i leave it on or turn it off till tank finish cycling?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #60
KaLiB

Its better to leave the skimmer off during the cycling period as it could interfere with the process. The green skimmate should be nothing to worry about, I get that in my tank as well.