Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
sebarau
Dragon

That is a kelah bro..
From angler perspective..please see the below pic, the one in circle is kelah..the other one is tengas.

below is a pic of tengas.. longish and greenish in color.
http://torkelah.multiply.com/photos/...27_Mac_2007#26
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
Spakase

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #23
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
That is a kelah bro..
From angler perspective..please see the below pic, the one in circle is kelah..the other one is tengas.

I think you are right based on the pics bro.. Please do join in more such discussions as we dont have wild caught Kelahs here. Does Tengas have many species too? I have another 3 which are tengas (aka Green Kelah) but no greenish (dull)coloured bottom. Anyway to explain this?

This is the best shot i can get. See if this makes any sense?
Click image for larger version

Name:	HumpbackMahseer.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	221891

Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #24
Spakase

Quote:
I have another 3 which are tengas (aka Green Kelah) but no greenish (dull)coloured bottom. Anyway to explain this?
Does this mean that Kelah is only red Kelah. Green "Kelah" is not a Kelah but a Tengas? But is a green Tengas a Mahseer?

And then Red Kelah, how come some are dull coloured like those in Sea View, and how come some bright scaled like those in QH? Are there different red Kelah?

I think we all have so many questions, maybe better buy that book, or start talking to this guy, Ng Chee Kiat. He's the Mahseer guru in Malaysia.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
FishyAmazon

Just did a minor surgery to one of the blue today. Removed a scale that is half dropping out and since i'm at it - i removed another one that is half broken with a weird shine due to a knock/scratch many months ago. See if they grow swee swee back.

Seems like my hunt for the red isnt over after the confirmation from bro sebarau. I've learnt something new today. Thanks folks for joining the Great Mahseer Journal.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #26
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Does this mean that Kelah is only red Kelah. Green "Kelah" is not a Kelah but a Tengas? But is a green Tengas a Mahseer?

And then Red Kelah, how come some are dull coloured like those in Sea View, and how come some bright scaled like those in QH? Are there different red Kelah?

I think we all have so many questions, maybe better buy that book, or start talking to this guy, Ng Chee Kiat. He's the Mahseer guru in Malaysia.
I know one answer to your question. Those lookalikes with a black vertical patch are confirm Sebarau.

All the best in your search. Remember it's the journey that is fulfilling not the destination and you are in it now.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #27
Spakase

those at Seaview are dull scaled, but don't see a vertical patch, or is there one?

Oh yeah, it's gonna be an exciting journey, I am keen to gather a few pieces of Kelah like many other hobbyists here in AF. So far I have a hunch that much of what we assume is based on price and that's not good.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #28
newbird^

red kelahs need a lot of sunlight and crystal clear water in order to be red..if not, the scales tend to be grayish and dull looking...again, there any a few strains of red kelah from malaysia...those found in kenyir dam are known 2 be much redder than those found in rivers in kelantan..eg : just like chilli and blood red aros..however,both are also red aros..

green kelah is another name for tengas..the chinese likes to call tengas green kelah, where else the local malays call those tengas..both are the same

anyway, aint kelah = mahseer?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #29
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
those at Seaview are dull scaled, but don't see a vertical patch, or is there one?

Oh yeah, it's gonna be an exciting journey, I am keen to gather a few pieces of Kelah like many other hobbyists here in AF. So far I have a hunch that much of what we assume is based on price and that's not good.
Yes, price isnt very accurate and if someone is out to be dishonest there is very little you can do - this is why we have AF cause i know knowledge is power. You can help yourself if you have knowledge.

Glad this thread is getting more exciting....

I would suggest with keeping the blue ones first if possible as this species is very distinct on its own.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #30
MilkMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
That is a kelah bro..

if i'm not wrong, the smaller reds at seaview does not have what sebarau posted, interesting

hv attached a side profile pic from mfk

Closed Thread