Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 16-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Squid
Endangered Dragon

Default Starvation method to train Dats to take pellets.

I'm trying to train my new Dat to take pellets.
my other dats do take pellets, but I've trained them by tricking them, dropping beefheart them massivore ontil they are tricked into swallowing the massivore, they now also take Hikari cichlid gold pellets.

only 1 of my dats was trained using starve method and this was becuase i kept them in the sump and totally neglected them. one died i think because of lack of food, the other which survived is now quite big.

but i just got myself a new dat, i placed him in my dat , clown loach and severum tank.

not sure if starve method will work for him? he doesnt seem to know pellets are food, and pelets disappear right away in my comm.

i've tried stuffing the pellets into fish and mashing and he does take it. but i'm too busy and dont have time to keep this up. anybody has had success with training in community tank full of pellet eating fish?
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
mictok
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
my other dats do take pellets, but I've trained them by tricking them, dropping beefheart them massivore ontil they are tricked into swallowing the massivore, they now also take Hikari cichlid gold pellets.

only 1 of my dats was trained using starve method and this was becuase i kept them in the sump and totally neglected them. one died i think because of lack of food, the other which survived is now quite big.

but i just got myself a new dat, i placed him in my dat , clown loach and severum tank.

not sure if starve method will work for him? he doesnt seem to know pellets are food, and pelets disappear right away in my comm.

i've tried stuffing the pellets into fish and mashing and he does take it. but i'm too busy and dont have time to keep this up. anybody has had success with training in community tank full of pellet eating fish?
I find that comm tank is the best environment to pellet train the fish however there will still have a super stubborn one that refused to take till death do it part......
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Squid
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictok View Post
I find that comm tank is the best environment to pellet train the fish however there will still have a super stubborn one that refused to take till death do it part......
thanks, my worry is he doesnt have time to realize the pellets are food.
my comm tank has 2 other pellet eating tiger, 6 severums, 15 clown loaches and a pike cichlid which gobble up pellets really fast.
Old 16-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
mictok
Dragon

Quote:
thanks, my worry is he doesnt have time to realize the pellets are food.
my comm tank has 2 other pellet eating tiger, 6 severums, 15 clown loaches and a pike cichlid which gobble up pellets really fast.
just have to spend some time to monitor. I use Oscar to train the rest, Oscar is forever hungry to get the first bite.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Squid
Endangered Dragon

Default My New Tiger

i have lots of tigers that eat, but in my other tank, 1 big tiger wont touch pellets even if the others are going for it.

by the way this is the new tiger i want to train to take pellets.
its so convenient when they take pellets.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 25-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
nande
Dragon

Yes they learn to recognise it as food better when they see other fish go for them.
nande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Squid
Endangered Dragon

thanks!! released stubborn tiger into comm tank
hope he learns soon
Old 27-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
lionheart
Arofanatic

Quote:

so what i noticed is that why dats refuse to eat pellets is because it simply doesn't view the pellets as a food source so we have to find ways to convince it to see pellets as food...and it seems the younger we start the pellet training the easier?

just to share all my dats are pellet trained and well so far my personal opinion is isolate so it is not as troublesome and efficient in terms of training is concerned(prevents tankmate from eating the pellet)and what if it is alone in a compartment or breeder box i can minimise waste of pellets by just throwing in just one everyday and can clearly see if the dat has eaten the pellet or not...

in the past all my dats have already accepted pellets except this last dat and i tried training while being free swimming in the comm and that piece simply refused to eat pellets till actually it became a on and off thing where i feed mp and resumed starving few days later to get it to eat pellets and eventually i sort of gave up trying to train that piece to take pellets and this one day 6 months later while i was feeding my bichirs hikari carnivore pellets this dat suddenly out of the blue decided to go and try the sinking pellet...
lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
Squid
Endangered Dragon

today, my stubborn dat began taking pellets and spitting it out, then taking it again and spit out. hahah hope he learns to swallw them .
i have not been able to get beefheart, it seems to work best in gtricking them to take pellets.

Last edited by Squid; 05-12-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
lionheart
Arofanatic

Quote:
today, my stubborn dat began taking pellets and spitting it out, then taking it again and spit out. hahah hope he learns to swallw them .
i have not been able to get beefheart, it seems to work best in gtricking them to take pellets.
bro if your dat has done this then congrats because that means it is considering the pellet as food and tried eating

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote