Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 24-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #21
freak85
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkbettafan View Post
If Singapore gov wants to be seen as forward looking and attract startups to invest in this country, they must find a balance on how to maintan an equilibrium business ecosystem btwn the new player and incumbents.

These IT applications that are "disruptive", to the government coffers or incumbent rice bowls, will surely attract the relevant authorities to do their due diligence whether can regulate or not.

AirBnB is one example, but, got many hospitality people complain so far? Don't have....so, happily many home owners are still renting out their properties via this app....

The non IT product kena banned so far is e-ciggies.....soon, I see those flying drones will be regulated soon, just like in US.

Drones are regulated for your information. It's really surprise me when always there is people who comment and without realizing what have or not been done.
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Gordy
Dragon

I'm commenting from a consumer view point.

I have twice experience with Uber. It wasn't bad at all. Thou some parts of me still prefer Taxi. To be fair, i say it's good as it lets private drivers earn some money on their free time. The good point,

- Earn some extra money on their free time.
- The payment is easier and more efficient for me. When reached the destination just get out and that's all. No cash transaction. Doesn't need to dig around for cash and keeping the change while getting out of the Taxi. This can be in a rush when there's other vehicles behind while we're alighting. It also pose inconvenience for others.
- Singapore Taxis are simply... not everywhere. Been to other countries say Bangkok, Taxis are seriously and literally everywhere. Every bend of the corner and even more infront of malls etc. But it could really be such a pain in Singapore to get a Taxi. Have to walk to the main road. And even such i don't see many. Even if there were, it's hired. This is the reason why i took Uber, i couldn't get a cab. Well one can say i could call a cab. But Uber doesn't have booking fee and there will be times when they just isn't any cab to call.

Now about Taxis. I still prefer Taxis as it's just a different ball game. It feels much more professional. When i take a Taxi i know the driver is trained and the way they interact (or not) with you. And the quality of the Taxi are generally the same. Both times i tried Uber, well it wasn't some cheap cars. But the interior isn't as comfy and once thou a sports car (old model), it could barely run and i was sliding off the back seat every second.

So i guess that's it. It's worthwhile to say, give new ideas a chance. Uber isn't bad. Just it's a different ballgame with Taxis until, IF, Uber's functionality wins Taxis.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #23
dazmario
Arofanatic

my place bedok to Hoot tham Road near great world. cab $12 to 13

uber X ( the cheapest)- came a accord- $ 16 plus

cab, $13 plus $2.5 = $15.5

Still save $1.
dazmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #24
globalcookie
Dragon

It is good to have Uber if it is regulated. Not that I like regulations for everything, but put it fairly,
- taxi drivers needs vocational license, are closely regulated.
- One complaint (even if it's a nonsensical commuter) and they get called up for kopi.
- Mistakes and they get demerit points and suspended from driving (not just our regular license demerit points right?),
- they pay for rental, etc.
- Taxi driving is a livelihood for Singaporeans only.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #25
jwhtan
Barney

Uber IS regulated
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #26
globalcookie
Dragon

Grab, Uber welcome new rules, but taxi body calls for more level playing field
Posted 12 Apr 2016 17:09 Updated 12 Apr 2016 17:20
(Photo: Kevin Kwang)

SINGAPORE: The National Taxi Association (NTA) and transport apps Grab and Uber have released statements in response to changes to the licensing frameworks for private hire car drivers and taxi drivers, as announced Senior Minister of State for Transport Ng Chee Meng during the Committee of Supply debate in Parliament on Tuesday (Apr 12).

"We view these regulations as an endorsement of private hire cars and a positive development for the industry as a whole," said Grab.

During his speech, Mr Ng announced that there would be a new Private Hire Car Driver Vocational Licencing (PDVL) framework in place by the first half of 2017. This framework requires that drivers providing chauffeured services undergo sufficient training on safety and the regulations, as well as medical and background checks.

He also said there would be updates to the existing Taxi Driver Vocational Licence (TDVL), such as including training for taxi drivers to use tools like the Global Positioning System (GPS) and shortening the duration of refresher courses from six- to nine- hour sessions to between three and five hours.

In separate statements on Tuesday, Grab and Uber - which both offer private hire car services - said they supported the new regulations, while NTA said more could be done to level the playing field between taxi drivers and private hire services.

GRAB, UBER EXPRESS SUPPORT FOR NEW RULES

Ride-hailing service provider Grab said it was in favour of regulations that complement its "robust driver registration, training and ratings and vehicle inspection framework" to drive the transport industry forward in safety and accessibility.

"We commend the Singapore Government’s willingness to embrace innovation and build Singapore as a Smart Nation," it said, adding that the company had been working closely with the Ministry of Transport (MOT) and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) since it began operations in Singapore.

"Grab is aligned with the MOT’s and LTA’s efforts to create a sustainable transportation ecosystem where private hire vehicles are a trusted and reliable transport option and co-exist with taxis, benefiting and protecting both passengers and drivers' interests," it said in the statement.

It added that many of the requirements announced by Mr Ng complemented the company's existing practices and "strict driver code of conduct". In addition, it said the PDVL will enable Grab to reduce its operational costs in enforcing background and medical checks, and instead focus its training on delivering a better ride experience and service standards.

As the passenger demand for ride-hailing services and alternative transport options continues to grow, Grab said it would make sure that its drivers receive "the fullest support they can get from us during this transition period".

Fellow ride-hailing app Uber's general manager Warren Tseng also said the company was "pleased" that the Government had "adopted many of our existing world-class safety standards in these new regulations", such as pre-screening and robust driver skills training.

Mr Tseng added that the measures continued to put safety first, which was "the single most important thing" for the company.

'BOLDER STEPS' REQUIRED FOR FAIR COMPETITION: NTA

Meanwhile, NTA said it was "glad" that MOT had "acknowledged the safety and security concerns of commuters with regard to private hire services", by including its suggestions for private-hire drivers to be registered with LTA for criminal and background checks in the PDVL framework.

Its suggestions that private hire drivers be required to go possess vocational licenses and have clear markings on private hire vehicles had also be included, it noted.

However, the association stated that "bolder steps" were needed to level the playing field between taxi drivers and private hire services in areas of cost and pricing.

The association said compliance requirements such as insurance coverage and emission standards were imposed on taxi operators, adding to the costs of operating a taxi fleet. These costs are passed on to taxi drivers and in turn to commuters, it said.

NTA urged MOT to "go further" to review these rules to level the playing field between taxi drivers and private hire services in terms of cost structure and pricing flexibility.

It requested that MOT allow taxi operators to dynamically change their pricing according to market demand and supply, and remove "unecessary rules" such as the 250km daily minimum mileage required of taxi vehicles.

It also asked for the harmonisation of service quality standards for taxis and private hire services such as by using new technology like third-party apps and direct user reviews.

On top of the proposed framework, NTA said commuters should be protected with a "clear and transparent" accountability system by private hire services so there is recourse in the event of accidents and disputes.

"All in all, this would help encourage optimal usage of our taxi and private hire fleets," NTA said.

- CNA/mz

Need vocational license next year onwards
Old 13-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #27
globalcookie
Dragon

Chances are, insurance will go up for cars used in uber/grab.
Old 13-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #28
loveikan
Arofanatic

New rev. Cash register - *Tink* tink* tink*
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #29
vincent2982
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
btw.. by regulation, i refer to making the driver responsible in case anything happens.

Other den tat, I dun see why we need to tell ppl - Hey, you MUST fall under the huge ass umbrella of GLC to be self employed and yet subjected to rules and regulations and high rentals tat will never see the end of the tunnel.

Den again, I'm not a Uber person. I still firmly believe that I shd give biz to the taxi uncles who had to fork out for training and etc first.

My neighbour who's a cabby juz managed to sway me to use grabtaxi.
Tat's the max i can/will go. I still dun feel comfy takin pte cars
I still prefer regular taxi, to me Uber all this price is ex den taxi. Either i take taxi or MRT. Esp during peak period, they chop u carrot as they dun run meter.
vincent2982 is offline   Reply With Quote