Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 04-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
amiidae

Default Species profile - Brachyplatystoma Juruense

Sci name : Brachyplatystoma juruense

Family: Pimelodidae

Common names-
Alianza cat, Golden tiger shovelnose, Flash Zebra , zebra catfish

Max Size-
known to reach up to 3ft in the wild but chances are it would reach abt 24" or slightly more in captivity

Temperature
22 - 27°C

Range-
South America: Amazon and Orinoco River basin

Habitat-
demersal, freshwater

Description-
B.juruense has white/yellow vertical bands running down the body and depending on the river where the specimen is collected, the stripes could be very thick to almost non existent in some cases, these stripes run all the way down the jurenese's body and reaches the underbelly of the catfish. From my personal observation, the stripes seem to be more obvious under the belly as compared to those running vertically down the body. Thier faces are flatten and wide like most shovelnose catfishes.Juruense have 2 "feelers" (one on each side) located above the mouth and 4 "feelers" (two on each side) located below the mouth

Tank Size Recommendations-
A 5ftx2.5ft tank would be recommended considering the size that this catfish could reach up too, however smaller specimens could be kept in 3ft x 1.5ft tank until they outgrow the tank before transferring them to such a large tank.

Do note that juruense catfishes do fight among themselves and it would be recommended that u have a large floor area in ur tank if u are keeping more thn 1 to minimize fighting. Its suggested that u should keep at least 3 if u have any intention of keeping a community so as to minimize injuries on each catfish due to fights

Some Suggested Tankmates-
Other large catfish from the Pimolididae family or Arowanas, stringrays and polypterides

Personal Experiences-
Definately a cool fish to keep. The juruense does this tripod stance using its pactoral fins in the front and its tail and it sure has an artistic pose to it when they do thatt. B.Jurunese also seem to enjoy swimming against the current generated by powerheads and if u do observe them frequently u would notice that they do yawn at times.. and u could see how big their mouths could actually stretch when they do that.

by Mewmender
amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Mewmender

Picture of brachyplatystoma juruense as requested
Old 08-02-2005, 01:56 AM   #3
amiidae

pic fm aro99 (with permission)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2668.JPG (37.6 KB, 2439 views)
File Type: jpg 26702.JPG (45.4 KB, 2368 views)
Old 05-01-2006, 05:37 AM   #4
yongsum

Gents, I have noticed that there is also a lighter (whiter) version of this cat. Looks like a cross between the tigrinus and juruense, and is being called flash zebra around here. Any thoughts? Thanks http://www.raubwelse.de/galerie/raubwelse/raubwelse.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongsum
Gents, I have noticed that there is also a lighter (whiter) version of this cat. Looks like a cross between the tigrinus and juruense, and is being called flash zebra around here. Any thoughts? Thanks http://www.raubwelse.de/galerie/raubwelse/raubwelse.htm
those seem to be another variant.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
ziw3i
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglyvelvet View Post
Going gud these ones!!!
ok... spammer / bot

Last edited by ziw3i; 10-10-2012 at 01:37 PM.
ziw3i is offline   Reply With Quote