Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
squeeze

Default L25 question

Hi bros. I would like to ask about L25 color. If example an L25 has full red tail, is it guaranteed to have full red tail when it grows big? Or if the tail only has a small part that is red, can it develop to have more red area?

Also, if the fish is only about 3", how will you know that it is a light base colored and will not grow to be dark?

Any tips on how to choose a nice quality, small size L25? Maybe about 3"? Any pictures to share? Thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
desmondekker

from what i understand from fellow hobbyist the red portion will gradually become black. still will have a bit of red, but not as impressive as they were younger. the good news is they tend to be burning red as they mature. here's 2 of my pets, the bigger one is about 7 inches and the smaller one is 3 inches for your reference. notice that the spikes are of similar colour. pls correct me if i'm talking rubbish

small

medium

Last edited by desmondekker; 11-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
resbh
Dragon

Wow the bigger pcs is gorgeous! Great photo-taking skills too bro!
resbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
desmondekker

thanks bro, here's another one that the spike has no colour, but i still like it coz of the greenish base colour

Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
NEWBIEARO
Dragon

actually if no spilt tail i believe the red will still stay
but if spilt tail higher chance the regrowth of it will turn black imo
cause i had a 14 inches L25 wif full red tail
anyway always love Sao Felix L25 due to the body always much lighter in colour
not too sure abt other L25s
if u wish for lighter color body can use light background as i noticed it will enchance their color
anyway if a small L25 wif less red on the tail very unlikely to increase the red portion on the tail anymore

Last edited by NEWBIEARO; 11-07-2010 at 11:10 PM.
NEWBIEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
resbh
Dragon

Off topic a bit....

Bro Desmond, your L25s are always moving around visibly in ur tank? I have a group of 5 small 114s, but always hiding in driftwood, want to take pics also tuff...

resbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
squeeze

@ desmondekker - all you L25s are very nice. each has its own beauty. so are you expecting your small L25 will turn up the same as you bigger L25 when it reaches 7 inches?

@ newbiearo - that's very sad to know since most of the L25 I encounter has split tail pls post picture of your full read tail L25. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
NEWBIEARO
Dragon

my ex
went to pleco heaven few yrs back due to bad mp feeding
NEWBIEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
desmondekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIEARO View Post
actually if no spilt tail i believe the red will still stay but if spilt tail higher chance the regrowth of it will turn black imo
this is an interesting observation. the pointers on the other fins will gradually fade away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by resbh View Post
your L25s are always moving around visibly in ur tank?
when i feed them with the lights off they'll come out to feed, depending on mood. i usually dig them out for phototaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
so are you expecting your small L25 will turn up the same as you bigger L25 when it reaches 7 inches?
hopefully
Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondekker View Post
this is an interesting observation. the pointers on the other fins will gradually fade away?

when i feed them with the lights off they'll come out to feed, depending on mood. i usually dig them out for phototaking.

hopefully
Huh??? For me, that is actually a "downgrade". Pls don't get me wrong. Your big L25 is very nice but I think your smaller L25 with the full red tail and almost full red dorsal is more beautiful. Are you really expecting the small one to transform like your big L25? Again, your big L25 is very beautiful but if I imagine your small one with full red tail, I can see that it will be more awesome when its bigger. Unless you say that the tail and dorsal will turn black as well

Last edited by squeeze; 12-07-2010 at 03:21 PM.