Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 02-05-2005, 11:52 PM   #11
ryo88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuy
IMHO, this will not work, even thou you get two internal filters of the same make, model and power. Reason being one will be higher than the other and given the pull of gravity, with one having to pump to a higher level while the other pumps lower.... errrr..... dun think they will balance out. even if both are on the same level, given wear and tear across time, both would tend to have different flow rate, not to mention external factors such as waste/debris stuck in the filter/impellar etc.

safest way will be the i-box overflow system. however it doesn't come cheap although it looks simple. 2nd hand sets are selling in SG Reef forum ard the region of $70.
This i-box are great ideas. I remember i used to have marine tank many years back and i try to diy something like the i-box, but it fail me and i had my floor full of salt water.
ryo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:19 AM   #12
armageddon
Senior Dragon

sry. lazy to read. thread on both side rather long. maybe just a suggestion from me wonder have any bros say it. but ur small tank u may wanna lift it higher. let them have the same water lvl so u will not be worried about power failure than bigger tank become empty. but 1 points to note. in case of any disease break out. both tanks will suffer and. in that case ur small tank will ma chiam become filter tank for bigger tank liaoor other way round ur bigger tank will be big big bio filter for smaller tank
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
xbox live

Quote:
Hi xbox live

I had exactly the same idea previously and had started another thread here. Mod Barracuda gave me alot of precious advice. You may wish to refer to the thread for further reference.

The solution would be to have a proper overflow to prevent flooding/draining in the event of pump failure. As your tank seems to be very matured, will be a pity to have to tear it down. Simpler way will be to get an I-box. Hope the info helps.

Hi ,

Did you try the method ? I will try mine this weekend as it really does not cost much to implement, just 2 hoses and of course a towel..to mop the floor if it does not work ...
Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #14
ryo88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox live
Hi ,

Did you try the method ? I will try mine this weekend as it really does not cost much to implement, just 2 hoses and of course a towel..to mop the floor if it does not work ...
Get an i-box la, worth the money to buy. Water can cause damage to many things if the mission fail. Share with us your experience when u try.
ryo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #15
xbox live

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon
sry. lazy to read. thread on both side rather long. maybe just a suggestion from me wonder have any bros say it. but ur small tank u may wanna lift it higher. let them have the same water lvl so u will not be worried about power failure than bigger tank become empty. but 1 points to note. in case of any disease break out. both tanks will suffer and. in that case ur small tank will ma chiam become filter tank for bigger tank liaoor other way round ur bigger tank will be big big bio filter for smaller tank
higher level , same water level , then the water will not flow out to the smaller tank leh....

Bio Filter or whatsoever filter, still worth it , no need to buy a chiller ..that is the point ...heehee
Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 PM   #16
NGuy

Quote:
Hi, did you try the method ?
are you refering to the method I mentioned in my thread (ie. using a proper overflow system)? If it is then the answer is yes. I have everything in place and tested it once. works perfectly!!!

Currently still running the top tank independantly with the IOS as need to wait for the lower tank to stablise. Will most prob link up the two tank by mid May.

Quote:
I will try mine this weekend as it really does not cost much to implement, just 2 hoses and of course a towel..to mop the floor if it does not work ...
watever i mentioned bout the gravity pull and stuff are all logic thinking and based soley on theory. I may be wrong. Pls let us know the result of your experiment! If u need to standby help for the mops jus drop me a tinker, will be most glad to assist.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #17
xbox live

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo88
This i-box are great ideas. I remember i used to have marine tank many years back and i try to diy something like the i-box, but it fail me and i had my floor full of salt water.

oh , that is salty. Hope mine will not be fishy..

anyway , i box is 2 expensive for me. Will use existing internal pump and see what happens then

thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #18
xbox live

[QUOTE]
Quote:
are you refering to the method I mentioned in my thread (ie. using a proper overflow system)? If it is then the answer is yes. I have everything in place and tested it once. works perfectly!!!

Currently still running the top tank independantly with the IOS as need to wait for the lower tank to stablise. Will most prob link up the two tank by mid May.
That's goood , but are u not afraid of exhausting your chiller ?

Quote:
watever i mentioned bout the gravity pull and stuff are all logic thinking and based soley on theory. I may be wrong. Pls let us know the result of your experiment! If u need to standby help for the mops jus drop me a tinker, will be most glad to assist.

My 1.5ft tank is 30deg today...going 31deg ....with 2 chillers cooling 2 4ft tank. Did not switch on fan as fan very noisy.So must try. Will try to tune to the same flow rate. maybe add a gauge in between the hose..haha.

cheers
Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #19
NGuy

Quote:
That's goood , but are u not afraid of exhausting your chiller?
my two tanks are only 4 x 1.5 x 1.5ft so total water volume less than 500Litres. that's why I have bought a 1/2hp chiller which shld do the job effortlessly.

Quote:
My 1.5ft tank is 30deg today...going 31deg ....with 2 chillers cooling 2 4ft tank. Did not switch on fan as fan very noisy.So must try. Will try to tune to the same flow rate. maybe add a gauge in between the hose...
yeah, the weather had been HORRIBLE lately. previously, it will take about 2.5 hrs for the water temp to increase 1 degC and the chiller to kick-in for 20mins to bring it back down to 25 degC. lately have noticed that the temp will rise from 25 to 26 within 1.5hrs and the chiller need 25mins to cool it back.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #20
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
higher level , same water level , then the water will not flow out to the smaller tank leh....

Bio Filter or whatsoever filter, still worth it , no need to buy a chiller ..that is the point ...heehee
YES. it WILL. cause once water lvl drop in small tank, to compensate the difference in water lvl, the water from the higher lvl tank will flow in.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote