Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 25-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Sianzation
Dragon

Default Advice on IOS tank for Planted setup

Have just purchase a IOS tank for office table.

it comes with an underflow design.

I am thinking of putting soil and doing up a planted tank.

Solution is to use wire mesh to cover up the underflow to prevent the soil from being suck in.

But my concern is that, as it is an underflow, the suction is always there, meaning all the nutrient or minerals in the soil will be drain away?
will this happen? or is the underflow cover with mesh the same as an undergravel filter for the area near to the underflow?
Sianzation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
slowcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianzation View Post
Have just purchase a IOS tank for office table.

it comes with an underflow design.

I am thinking of putting soil and doing up a planted tank.

Solution is to use wire mesh to cover up the underflow to prevent the soil from being suck in.

But my concern is that, as it is an underflow, the suction is always there, meaning all the nutrient or minerals in the soil will be drain away?
will this happen? or is the underflow cover with mesh the same as an undergravel filter for the area near to the underflow?
I would put a fine mash on the grill; cable tie? this will solve your problem. If you want to seal it up completely, use a piece of glass or plastic to cover it up.

Cheers
Old 25-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Sianzation
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcat View Post
I would put a fine mash on the grill; cable tie? this will solve your problem. If you want to seal it up completely, use a piece of glass or plastic to cover it up.

Cheers
ya. this is my intention too. but not sure if this will cause all the nutrient or minerals in the soil to be suck up?
Old 26-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Sianzation
Dragon

Any pro advice?

if using mesh to cover up the bottom underflow already. and put soil for planted tank. is there any future problem?
Old 27-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
burntrubber
Dragon

The soil will completely block off the underflow making it useless. You need to leave a space in between the soil and the underflow so that it can take in water from above soil level. Something like a grill or a gravel plate placed vertical against the sump wall that will prevent the soil from blocking the underflow while allowing water flow.
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Weiliang
Arofanatic

hi bro, just my 2 cents,

It is fortunate that your tank is still dry.

adding another glass to make it over flow is still an option. you cannot have any gravel going into the underflow, it will clog ultimately. and since most solution to block/trap the gravel involves silicon or cable-tie, might as well solve the problem for good. doubles as skimmer too to make overflow.

you shouldn't have too much worry about dirt on the gravel as bio filter will allow the plants to absorb it ultimately.

having underflow with gravel turns it into gravel filter provided the underflow don't choke. you wouldn't be needing a lot of wool in your sump in that case.

not to mention, forcing the water thru the gravel and then into your underflow drastically reduces flowrate into sump. you might be forced to use a smaller pump and have a lower turnover rate. also risk the pump overheating should the pump empty sump compartment faster than water can flow in.

i'm not too sure about nutrients from root tabs and such being drained away from plant. perhaps some of the sifus here can enlighten further?

cheers bro, and good luck to your setup.
Weiliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Sianzation
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrubber View Post
The soil will completely block off the underflow making it useless. You need to leave a space in between the soil and the underflow so that it can take in water from above soil level. Something like a grill or a gravel plate placed vertical against the sump wall that will prevent the soil from blocking the underflow while allowing water flow.
Ya, i have the same idea with you, i have ask the acrylic shop to do an acrylic to place verticial against the underflow with a gap in between.
the design also prevent soil from moving into the acrylic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiliang View Post
hi bro, just my 2 cents,

It is fortunate that your tank is still dry.

adding another glass to make it over flow is still an option. you cannot have any gravel going into the underflow, it will clog ultimately. and since most solution to block/trap the gravel involves silicon or cable-tie, might as well solve the problem for good. doubles as skimmer too to make overflow.

you shouldn't have too much worry about dirt on the gravel as bio filter will allow the plants to absorb it ultimately.

having underflow with gravel turns it into gravel filter provided the underflow don't choke. you wouldn't be needing a lot of wool in your sump in that case.

not to mention, forcing the water thru the gravel and then into your underflow drastically reduces flowrate into sump. you might be forced to use a smaller pump and have a lower turnover rate. also risk the pump overheating should the pump empty sump compartment faster than water can flow in.

i'm not too sure about nutrients from root tabs and such being drained away from plant. perhaps some of the sifus here can enlighten further?

cheers bro, and good luck to your setup.
yeah, bro this is what i am thinking too. was wondering in the long run, flowrate will decrease and clog might happen.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Sianzation
Dragon

any bro can advice if we can use silicon glue on acrylic to be stick with glass?
Old 27-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
Weiliang
Arofanatic

Quote:
any bro can advice if we can use silicon glue on acrylic to be stick with glass?
glass is recommended.

thin acrylic will bend/warp under pressure and will be disastrous if it happens 3 months into your setup.
thick acrylic will be unsightly, might as well go for glass

cheers
Weiliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
thomas-seah
Arofanatic

Quote:
not sure if aquarium silicon can glue both acrylic and glass together, but multi-purpose one sure can. best to ask the hardware shop for a reliable 1 cos i ever got 1 that can't even stick anything at all. @#$%
thomas-seah is offline   Reply With Quote