Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Noobz

Default CO2 tablet harmful to CRS?

Hi all expert, is CO2 tablet for plant harmful to CRS?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
JeffL
Arofanatic

not really, just use the correct amount. They are use carbon dioxide, but too much may rob them of oxygen to breath

try getting CO2 canister for better and constant CO2 for your plants. You can get small canister in 1L very nice
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Noobz

Sorry I'm a noobie. Does CO2 canister require CO2 input. Saw some compress CO2 can. How does it work also?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobz View Post
Sorry I'm a noobie. Does CO2 canister require CO2 input. Saw some compress CO2 can. How does it work also?
If you want to use CO2 cylinders, best if you have sufficient volume of plants to utilise the CO2 well and also to produce sufficient oxygen for your shrimps. CO2 + low volume of plants + shrimps = CO2 enriched water + shrimps in poor condition.

Generally, CO2 cylinders are used where improved growth of plants are desired. It would be a good practice to have both a mixture of slow and fast growing plants.

You would need, as the basic equipment, a CO2 cylinder with a manual regulator, a CO2 bubble counter, a CO2 diffuser and a check valve. The manual regulator is what you would use to control the rate of CO2 flow into your tank. The bubble counter is for measuring the rate of CO2 flow (in conjunction with your regulator). The diffuser helps to break up the CO2 entering the tank into smaller bubbles to improve the dissolution of the gas into the water, which improves the take-up rate of the plants. Lastly, the check valve is to prevent the backflow of water into your CO2 line/tank when your CO2 is turned off.

1 more thing. CO2 is best used together with a high-lighting environment as well as good ferts practices. Otherwise, all sorts of problems can occur, such as wastage of CO2 gases, algae-growth, etc.

The alernative to the above would be a DIY CO2 supply using Yeast and Sugar (if I remember correctly). However, this would, at best, give a lumpy, irregular CO2 supply, which also creates problems.

Hope this info helps somewhat. This is just a basic write-up of what you would need to know. I suggest you do some deeper reading before deciding if Pressurise CO2 is the way you want to go.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Noobz

Any idea the cheapest CO2 setup would cost how much as I'm on budget.
Old 17-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Any idea the cheapest CO2 setup would cost how much as I'm on budget.
why do you want to add CO2 injection into CRS tank when CRS does not need them? And CO2 injection can do damage to CRS if it is not managed properly.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
avex30

I do not advise using them they leave a powder form in the tank

1) Unsightly
2) Shrimp pick on it i don't know whether will it be harmful.
Old 17-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Noobz

My idea was for the plants in the tank. Thought plant need CO2 to grow well and green?
Old 18-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
why do you want to add CO2 injection into CRS tank when CRS does not need them? And CO2 injection can do damage to CRS if it is not managed properly.
*facebook like click*

Quote:
My idea was for the plants in the tank. Thought plant need CO2 to grow well and green?
what type of plants are you looking at? Ferns and moss do well without CO2, NANA as well but handle well with NANA as i read that their sap can kill shrimps. I dont do intensive plants in shrimp tank because my focus is on the shrimps. If u want high maintenance plant which will require ferts, u will most probably end up with a whole pack of dead shrimps due to the copper content in ferts, which the plants need.

CO2 if not handled properly, will increase acidity and affect the water parameter which then again will kill the shrimps.

Hope my 2cents helps u.
Old 19-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
BuTLeR

Quote:
hi bro ... maybe you can share the spec and types of plants that you wan in your tank ? my advise--- use low tech plants like nanas, ferns or java moss if you are keeping CRS , no points injecting Co2 into CRS tank , it will do more harm than good.