Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 22-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
ethanleow
Dragon

anyway, it will be nice to have a saltwater reef pond for viewing.. haha.. ) though from what i can see, it will give u a hard time maintenance.. haha.
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
KaLiB

Sounds like an interesting project that I would also want to take up some day given the space. What sort of pond are you planning to do? Reef or just fish only?

The water at Pasir Ris is also full of sediment and would require quite a bit of filtration to get it clean enough for pond use. I do not know of any LFS that collect water from there but the fishing ponds at that area do pump in saltwater from Pasir Ris area for use. It would need to be filtered or else the water will end up being so murky that you cannot see anything.

When collecting directly from the sea, its advisable to time the collecting during high tide and avoiding periods where there is continuous rain for a period of time.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
AroDan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanleow View Post
but considering that it's in captivity, won't the rain affect the salinity and the outdoor temperature affect the water temperature? or it's a sheltered pond with chiller??
It is sheltered but will not install chiller as it does not have direct sunlight.
AroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
AroDan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Sounds like an interesting project that I would also want to take up some day given the space. What sort of pond are you planning to do? Reef or just fish only?

The water at Pasir Ris is also full of sediment and would require quite a bit of filtration to get it clean enough for pond use. I do not know of any LFS that collect water from there but the fishing ponds at that area do pump in saltwater from Pasir Ris area for use. It would need to be filtered or else the water will end up being so murky that you cannot see anything.

When collecting directly from the sea, its advisable to time the collecting during high tide and avoiding periods where there is continuous rain for a period of time.
I will start off with just fishes. Then once everything is stable and I can get a better hold of the project then will I go in reef setup

Agree. I have been checking on the tide schedule to chart out those days with 3.1m tide. But the problem is I'm not sure if I will get into trouble with LTA or AVA for collecting saltwater from sea?
Old 23-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
ethanleow
Dragon

i see.. if you are able to keep your water temp below 30℃ then should be good. do update us on your interesting project! )
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
KaLiB

If you want to be certain that it isn't against the law to collect seawater, I think you can approach NEA and seek their advice in this matter.
Old 24-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
AroDan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
If you want to be certain that it isn't against the law to collect seawater, I think you can approach NEA and seek their advice in this matter.
Ok. I will try calling them
Old 25-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
AroDan
Arofanatic

In the meantime while waiting for me to sort out the salt water collection plan, can i find out, now my FGT is housing a few big fishes and its turning the salt water light brown in colour. Does installing a skimmer the solution? or I have to keep changing water?
Old 25-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
best88
Arofanatic

if you live close to the sea and intend to keep fish species from that area , you may find that ( provided you have access to clean source of sea water
)you can successfully keep fishes in natural sea water but the problem is that natural seawater is full of potentially dangerous organisms to be considered totally reliable for aquarium use , even if the collection and transport of sufficient quantities present no difficulties .
best88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
AroDan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by best88 View Post
if you live close to the sea and intend to keep fish species from that area , you may find that ( provided you have access to clean source of sea water
)you can successfully keep fishes in natural sea water but the problem is that natural seawater is full of potentially dangerous organisms to be considered totally reliable for aquarium use , even if the collection and transport of sufficient quantities present no difficulties .
That's why now I'm looking into the option of mixing marine salt with aged water. Can anyone advise how much water to how much salt and usually is it correct to say have to let the mixed salt water settle in for 2-3days before checking on the salt level in the water?