Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 21-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
1.6 TS
Arofanatic

Default Distilled Water

For those who use distilled water for top up/water change.
Do u add anything inside since it if free from mineral etc...
For me, i add abit of Mosura shi zhen power before adding the water to the tank, is this good enough?

Any the cheapest distilled water you can find in the market, me using Alpheus, from sheng siong, cheapest i can find so far S$ 0.60 for 1.5 litres.

Cheers!!!
1.6 TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
berber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.6 TS View Post
For those who use distilled water for top up/water change.
Do u add anything inside since it if free from mineral etc...
For me, i add abit of Mosura shi zhen power before adding the water to the tank, is this good enough?

Any the cheapest distilled water you can find in the market, me using Alpheus, from sheng siong, cheapest i can find so far S$ 0.60 for 1.5 litres.

Cheers!!!
distilled water is to soften your tank water. you do not need to add anything to it.

and if you want cheaper distilled water you will have to go to msia! i saw some for sale at only 0.35RM/bottle!!!!! hahahaha
Old 21-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
1.6 TS
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by berber View Post
distilled water is to soften your tank water. you do not need to add anything to it.

and if you want cheaper distilled water you will have to go to msia! i saw some for sale at only 0.35RM/bottle!!!!! hahahaha
that cheap, me travel to pg side for work at times, so will check it out.
but water unlike sugar,milk etc..... should have no limit of how many u can bring out at 1 time right?
Old 21-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
1.6 TS
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by berber View Post

By the way, when u said it is to soften the tank water, so do i use it when i find the water too hard only?
Cause have been using distilled water for the last few months.
Old 21-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
cheetf
Dragon

If you use distilled water to top up, you can either don't add anything else, or you can add Shizhen powder to provide fulvic acid that found in stream water.

If you use distilled water to do water change, use Mosura Mineral Plus to get a GH of 4, then use TDS Up to get the TDS to the 150 to 200ppm range.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
1.6 TS
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
If you use distilled water to top up, you can either don't add anything else, or you can add Shizhen powder to provide fulvic acid that found in stream water.

If you use distilled water to do water change, use Mosura Mineral Plus to get a GH of 4, then use TDS Up to get the TDS to the 150 to 200ppm range.
OIC
Many thanks for the advise.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Curryfishhead

If you want distilled water, you can go to NTUC which sells less than $6 for twelve 1.5l bottles when there is a promotion. Do look out for it.

I guess this is the cheapest you can find in Singapore.

BTW, there are some shifus here that advise that putting too much distilled water will cause the soil to deplete very fast. So be careful.

Good luck.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
berber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.6 TS View Post
that cheap, me travel to pg side for work at times, so will check it out.
but water unlike sugar,milk etc..... should have no limit of how many u can bring out at 1 time right?
no limit one luh. its just water its not problem.

i think going to JB is quite convinient if you drive. can go buy things and top up fuel! hahah
Old 21-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryfishhead View Post

there are some shifus here that advise that putting too much distilled water will cause the soil to deplete very fast. So be careful.
This will happen when you just water change with distill water without reconstruct the water with additives like Mineral Plus and TDS Up.

Distilled water is a safer water to use over tap water and without hassel of aging the the tap water.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
SeahSengYong
Arofanatic

NTUC sell real cheap, less than $0.50 a bottle.
SeahSengYong is offline   Reply With Quote