Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 03-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #11
ZhiQiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
yup...they do last for years and yet use little electricity...for us people in marine...we have already started to use them...but currently only as night light...to mimick moon light..but only some do to the extend of mimicking the moon phases also
Oh i see...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 AM   #12
doublej

Quote:
Originally Posted by higher
LEDs have been around the aquarium industry for quite a while now, however, most people who seem to use them are reefers to create a 'moonlight' look for their tank, which i think seems needed for their hobby.

We on the other hand as planted hobbyists seem to have no use i can think of at the moment for it. 'Moonlight' is useless in a planted tank.

But, interesting topic brought up though, thanks for highlighting it.

Cheers,
Jerome
those led u refer r those so called "laser system"??? remember seeing it during the LH era...
and yupz.. its more for "night light" had seen a diy article on it on net somewhere...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #13
talev

It's been done before.

And the results are promising.

http://www.servangle.net/reef/led/
Old 03-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #14
ZhiQiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej
if thats the case hor... its not economical liaoz...
as u can check the price of led...
its quite ex if u are really going to purchase that amt of leds

and also the output spectrum might not be of wat is neded for the planted tank...
as white led is the most ex led... follow by blue then red...
green orange/yellow i not sure.. haha...
I guess alot more research must be done whether its suitable for planted tank or not...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 AM   #15
doublej

Quote:
Originally Posted by talev
It's been done before.

And the results are promising.

http://www.servangle.net/reef/led/
nice article...
hmm...
mayb its time to head down the component store to kapo some leds..
lolz...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:18 AM   #16
higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhiQiang
I guess alot more research must be done whether its suitable for planted tank or not...
My query is if they've enough intensity for our hobby?
I do like their low power consumption but to have a whole board covering the tank due to their concentrated focus seems a hard call.

Perhaps it may be possible if
(a) Someone comes out with a 6500-8000k LED bulb
(b) Someone designs one that is aethesitcally pleasing.

Cheers,
Jerome
Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #17
|squee|

Really attractive. No heat and low power! No more fans
Old 03-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #18
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhiQiang
My bike has LED rear lights, and by golly it is a few times brighter than conventional bulbs.

But i think by the time they develop it for use in normal lighting systems, u and i will be old men leow...
Old 03-03-2005, 02:48 AM   #19
plantmania

... I had one set which I DIY a year ago... Using super bright leds,blue. I know what's the effect like.

1. Brightness does not mean good PAR and penetrating power, pretty weak actually. It appear bright because you are looking at the light directly. If you look at MH , you'll be temporary blinded....

2. The article link showcase only a 3 gallon tank using 32 LEDs. Cost wise.... more than 100+ dollars. E.g to light up my 2 feet tank , I would need about 200 odd LEDs packed together to be comparable to a 36 watts PL/FL, perhaps 350+ LEDs to be a 70 watt MH....

3. Water penetration is weak, not recommended for tanks with 2 feet+ depth. Definitely not recommended for planted setup, even for "low-maintainence" system. At most you use it as a "moon light" setup.

Conclusion
1. Expensive
2. Cute to have, moonlight
3. very limited use in a planted tank

Last edited by plantmania; 03-03-2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 AM   #20
plantmania

By the way, there are "white" super bright LEDs, that are around the range of 8000K to 10000K. Of cos you need hundreds of them to work as a planted tank light source, which also means freaking expensive for anyone to swallow.

For me ,last known price of a super bright LED is 4 dollar a piece , that's consider on the cheap side.... There's also the normal LED, cheaper around 1 to 2 dollar, not recommended though, is extremely weak.

Site recommended 680 LEDs for a 4'x 1' x 1' marine tank....Price estimate =
700(round up) x 4 + 100(power adapter,circuit boards and some waterproof shielding) = 2900 SGD.

Okay "let assume" price drop 20% per annum. That means it will take at most 11 years before it reach affordable price of around 250 dollars....

Last edited by plantmania; 03-03-2005 at 03:42 AM.