Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
andrewtyr

redcross Accident - Lights fell into water

Last night, my Dad wanted to switch off the 55W PL lights but the whole thing dislodged and felled into the water. Yes, there was a surge of current and he got an electric shock unfortunately but is ok already. The lights is a 2 pin socketed so there is no earth.

Later in the night, I switched it on again when it is dripping wet. For a moment there was the usual bright light, then there was a mini 'boom' sound. I knew something blew. Is it just the tube or the e-ballast that blew? Or is the whole thing wasted? Is it still salvagable? Hope either badman or Ken can advise on this.

To Betta-fantasy - My dad is ok, he is doing his 2 2-tier 4 ft tanks now. That is one massive aro setup, if you ask me.
The shrimps and fish are ok but I still got electric shock when I dipped my finger into the water last night.

Last edited by andrewtyr; 04-03-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
knoogy

i bet its the ballast tat is gone. the Circuits inside the E-ballast must have short circuited.

hmm salvage? possible. but u have to find an eballast with the size that suits yr housing.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Betta Fantasy

brudder wet appliance cannot switch on horrr.......serious one not joking

so yr father ok? and teh fishes got electricuted?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
jojoe cute

Wooooo so danger ah....
Advise yr sibling next time off the switch then bring the light out...

Bro....
The best thing to do now is dismental the whole light and dry it under sunlight....

Assemble it back and test it when it totally dry......

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtyr
Last night, my Dad wanted to switch off the 55W PL lights but the whole thing dislodged and felled into the water. Yes, there was a surge of current and he got an electric shock unfortunately but is ok already. The lights is a 2 pin socketed so there is no earth.

Later in the night, I switched it on again when it is dripping wet. For a moment there was the usual bright light, then there was a mini 'boom' sound. I knew something blew. Is it just the tube or the ballae-st that blew? Or is the whole thing wasted? Is it still salvagable? Hope either badman or Ken can advise on this.

To Betta-fantasy - My dad is ok, he is doing his 2 2-tier 4 ft tanks now. That is one massive aro setup, if you ask me.
The shrimps and fish are ok but I still got electric shock when I dipped my finger into the water last night.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
knoogy

haaa doubt it will work... hearing a "pop" sound means something inside blew.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
doublej

omg.. switching on the light when its wet is a def no no...
most dry the lights... the pl tube might still b usuable but ballast cfm not working liaoz...
dry the connectors (most impt) also this will prevent corrosion...

suggestion.. casing of coz can use..
the tube mayb... look out for burnt marks thou
ballast u gotta change it liaoz
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Guppies Onli
Dragon

What brand is that?

I bought the Jebo light but the pair of stand is separate bought and the screw cannot go all the way in - I'm also worry about this...
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
|ceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli
What brand is that?

I bought the Jebo light but the pair of stand is separate bought and the screw cannot go all the way in - I'm also worry about this...
Maybe u will like to remove the stand and just put the lights on the top
of the tank as it is. Other then short circuitry when the light set takes a swim inside the water, its not fun knowing tat the light set dropped on the glass badly
Old 04-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Will probably find those smaller tap screw to get them right inside (they gave those flat head type).

I've seen a number of bros here using lights with supporting stand and I wonder can theirs screw all the way in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ceberg
Maybe u will like to remove the stand and just put the lights on the top
of the tank as it is. Other then short circuitry when the light set takes a swim inside the water, its not fun knowing tat the light set dropped on the glass badly
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
|ceberg

not too sure about ur light set

but it seems the more common light sets come with those slots at the bottom where you can slide in the light stands. no screws or anything needed. just
slide it in and tats it