Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
KPeck

Default Need advice on lights.

Can anyone advise me on the lights I need to use for a 3ft tank? And where I can get them? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
obsidian

Perhaps U might want to post what plants U intend to keep in ur tank...If u are gonna keep low-maintainence plants then simple FLs will suffice.. The higher requirement plants might require the more powerful wattage PLs.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
ahlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeck
Can anyone advise me on the lights I need to use for a 3ft tank? And where I can get them? Thanks.
for a 3ft planted tank, u shld require a 4x36w PL light to achieve 3watt/gallon. u can get from NA... mr chan having promotion for his lights at e moment... comes with elbiru tubes n e-ballast from a subsidary of elbiru... value for money... with normal atman casing... i yr warranty...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
KPeck

Just went there to NA. Will consider that. Any more suggestions?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
ZhiQiang

its down to what type of plants you want to keep. If you are targeting high light plants, then buy the 4x36 watt.

otherwise, get the magnum II, quite fairly priced.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeck
Just went there to NA. Will consider that. Any more suggestions?
Hi,

I recently bought a brand called jiale. The lightings is 36W x 2 and cost about $50. Used for a few weeks so far and no problems. Maybe you can consider that. 2 sets will only set you back around $100 so still cheap and affordable.

Also, the 3 ft magnum 2 seems to be no stock in many places. The c328 lady boss said only 2 boxes came in to test water so currently 3 ft is not in yet. Dunno true or not though.

Note: I'm not related to the brand name in any way and are not advertising for them.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
aCe^bOwleRz

Depends on your tank height too. If 2ft or more, MH would be your best choice but you have to take care of the heat issue.

Regards,
Izzat
Old 06-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
KPeck

MH? I think a bit of an overkill right? I used it for my marine tank...
Old 06-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
coryfav
Dragon

There are hobbyists who use MH lights for their Planted tanks. Apart from having light-hungry plants, I guess it's also because of the 2ft height.
coryfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:03 AM   #10
aCe^bOwleRz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfav
There are hobbyists who use MH lights for their Planted tanks. Apart from having light-hungry plants, I guess it's also because of the 2ft height.
Thanks Florence

Yes, if your tank is 2ft and above in height, you will need the power of MH to penertrate thru the water to reach the foreground plants.

Regards,
Izzat