Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 30-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
satan_gal
Dragon

Default HDB defends design of its new estates

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...tates-20131230

Newer public housing estates are not the "walled cities" one Straits Times reader called them.

Instead, interspersed among high-rise blocks are low-rise developments such as parks.

This was the Housing Board's reply to a letter published in The Straits Times on Dec 18 complaining about the quality of newer towns such as Sengkang, Sembawang and Punggol.

"The spaces between blocks have been reduced significantly, leading to a pervasive 'walled-city' look," architectural designer Liu Zhenghao, 30, had written.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Letter from Reader :
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...tates-20131218

Innovation, good design vital for HDB estates

FOR a number of years, the quality of HDB flats and estates, especially in new towns such as Sengkang, Sembawang and Punggol, has seemingly been on the decline.

The spaces between blocks have been reduced significantly, leading to a pervasive "walled city" look.

Multi-storey carparks reach seven to eight storeys, becoming large and inert obstructions to views and street activities.

In building viable cities, the spaces between buildings are as important as the buildings themselves.

The same housing density can be achieved by removing one block and redistributing the floor area to other surrounding blocks to create more "porosity" at the ground level.

In earlier-generation new towns such as Tampines and Boon Lay, there were purpose-built lower-density areas such as market squares and shopping streets - nodes of activity and gathering spaces that promote the idea of a community.

In newer estates such as Sengkang, the blocks seem to be squeezed tightly together with green spaces at the periphery. While recreation is still possible, the inter-block spaces, where people spend more of their daily lives, have become rather soulless.

And unlike older estates, which are better connected (multiple linkages and accesses) and have more decentralised amenities and dining options, new towns tend to concentrate almost all functions in a big shopping mall cum transport hub. While this offers convenience, residents are left with little choice and limited variety.

The use of too many prefabricated components, and fewer natural materials such as brick, reinforces the idea of blandness and makes blocks look like factory units.

I understand the limitations that the HDB faces - land costs, flat prices and the need for density - but the issues I raised can be addressed, possibly with little or no cost increase.

A strong culture of innovation is required, coupled with the belief and investment in good design.

Those who have lived in older estates would probably know that the newer ones are simply not of a comparable standard.

I hope the HDB will look into these issues, to make estates feel like homes rather than places that one seeks to leave behind by "upgrading".

Liu Zhenghao

================================================== =

I dunno abt HDB... but last I looked at the masterplan of Punggol... it sure gives me the feelin of being "walled". I strongly agree with the writer.
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

now who's talking about receiving feedback
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Aris
Arofanatic

Punggol where many flats are so near to the multi-storey car park that the lights from the cars shines into the flat. Is that considered good design?
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

machiam 6.9 acoming hoh
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
Punggol where many flats are so near to the multi-storey car park that the lights from the cars shines into the flat. Is that considered good design?
VERY GOOD Arrrr! U can ensure you can see if anyone tampering wif ure car from the comfort of bedroom!

Those who hiam hiam hiam... give them units also dun wan..tsk tsk tsk...
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
lyc
Dragon

frankly speaking with our limited land what can we expect esp we trying to squeeze in more people.
lyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyc View Post
frankly speaking with our limited land what can we expect esp we trying to squeeze in more people.
Yeah, one day we can even talk to our neighbours without leaving our flat.
Old 30-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
freak85
Endangered Dragon

Hdb design have alot of things taken into account where aloy of.folks do not know of... but ya.. f.uckers are not enthic by putting hdb so close together that I doubt I need a phone to call my neighbors. ... damn cb
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak85 View Post
Hdb design have alot of things taken into account where aloy of.folks do not know of... but ya.. f.uckers are not enthic by putting hdb so close together that I doubt I need a phone to call my neighbors. ... damn cb
Those living in older estates are better off than the new ones which may look nice and all that, but at the end of the day, people prefer privacy and more space.
Old 30-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
Those living in older estates are better off than the new ones which may look nice and all that, but at the end of the day, people prefer privacy and more space.
Agree...but again like wat bro streetsmart said...the new towns planning probably have the 6.9 mil in mind liao...

Take a look at the DBSS at bedok reservoir, now near completion...yu virtually can just speak to yr neighbours directly across your block...
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote