Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 22-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
richardg
Arofanatic

Default 53% of Singaporeans want third-party taxi booking apps to be legislated

Anyone using these new services?
What are the risks?

===============================
By Amanda Lee, TODAY
POSTED: 21 Oct 2015 08:59

SINGAPORE: Slightly more than half of the 1,929 Singaporeans interviewed in a recent survey, or 53 per cent, want the authorities to legislate third-party taxi booking apps, such as Uber and GrabTaxi.

The survey, conducted from Oct 8 to 11 by market research firm YouGov, also showed that 22 per cent of those interviewed do not want the Government to intervene in such apps, while 11 per cent want these apps to be banned from the market. The remaining 14 per cent say they do not know, or do not have an opinion.

The survey came not long after Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said in an Oct 2 blog post that the Government will be reviewing private car-sharing apps to ensure a “level playing field” for taxi operators.

The use of third-party apps comes second with regard to engaging a taxi (42 per cent), with flagging down a taxi on the street coming in tops at 73 per cent.

According to the survey, the top three reasons for using third-party apps are: The ease of using them; such apps show the availability of drivers in the area; and it is easier/more convenient to get a ride using the apps compared to other ways.

Read the original TODAY report here.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
jwhtan
Barney

As long as they do not contravene State Laws, I am all for new ideas.

Regulation stifles creativity
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
globalcookie
Dragon

I can agree to regulate non-vocation taxi but not booking apps that are used by commuters and taxi drivers.

Somehow or rather, surveys always favours what they want.... alcohol restriction being one.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post

will you take if really got no insurance coverage for accidents?
ie. car insurance not covered, personal insurance also not covered since they claim "illegal" car use ( is this possble?)
Old 22-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
will you take if really got no insurance coverage for accidents?
ie. car insurance not covered, personal insurance also not covered since they claim "illegal" car use ( is this possble?)
think driving w/o proper insurance coverage is against State Laws .....
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
freak85
Endangered Dragon

I always think a lot of people like to ask or comment when they have little or even no idea of what's happening.

to be a uber driver. you first have to register a company. then the car have to be a fully paid or transfer to the company. using a commercial insurance instead of your private insurance. then yes you have to buy public liability insurance to cover.

it's not as easy as sign up as a uber driver then you start driving.

I would say how many of them know the cost of being a taxi driver to begin with and how much the cost of being a uber.

I would support the use of such as no1, it allows people who are stuck without a job to get by their living while looking for a stable job.
no 2, it allows free competitions to these taxi company where they should start looking into the welfare of those who hires their vehicle as a taxi drivers.

taxi drivers are always said to be , the mouth stop when the hand stop. so perhaps instead of grumbling. these companies should look into more benefits of the taxi drivers to encourage people to drive taxi against the app drivers. this would then be a fair competitive market rather than to regulate it.

it's as simple as you sell sugar cane I also sell sugar cane. you sell 100 a day while I sell 10 a day. shouldn't I be looking into things to improve instead of regulating the trade?

come mon!!!
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

wanting a hand into everything that makes money mah.

In the name of regulating.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
richardg
Arofanatic

wa uber rather strict
how about the other apps like halo, etc... just as strict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak85 View Post
I always think a lot of people like to ask or comment when they have little or even no idea of what's happening.

to be a uber driver. you first have to register a company. then the car have to be a fully paid or transfer to the company. using a commercial insurance instead of your private insurance. then yes you have to buy public liability insurance to cover.

...!
Old 22-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
freak85
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
wa uber rather strict
how about the other apps like halo, etc... just as strict?
I know uber and grab car also the same. others I duno. I tried driving uber as well. it's not easy money and I can feel taxi driver's pain. but problem with this is it's not really a levelled competitions. taxi have taxi stands whereby they can berth and pick up passenger. uber driver will have to drive and call to find where the passenger is even thou there is a gps route which tells you where to turn.

but problem is for eg. at 8-9pm taxi stand at plaza singapura have soooooooooooooooooo much passenger and I have no idea where the rest of the taxi were. so I picked up a uber user from there all the way to Tanah merah. then drive back to town area again.

so to say uber creates competition to taxi drivers yes in a way. but no as in not directly.
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post

Uber is unregulated akin to the streetwalkers on social visit passes.

I rather we have regulated yellow card sex workers.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote