Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
stargazer
Dragon

Thumbs up More help for jobless citizens to find work

Singapore will introduce several measures to help jobless citizens find work and encourage employers to hire them. Companies with an unusually large number of foreign professionals and without any plans to nurture their Singaporean staff will find it harder to get new employment passes for foreigners.

They will find it a struggle as well to renew the work passes of their existing foreign staff. Manpower Minister Lim Swee Say announced the moves in Parliament yesterday, making it clear he intended to overcome the persistent complaints about foreign professionals taking jobs away from Singaporeans.

Meanwhile, help is at hand for retrenched Singaporean professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs) under 40 who have been jobless for more than six months. A scheme will be expanded to give employers who hire them a subsidy for these PMETs' salaries for one year.

Those aged 40 and older can get on it immediately. To help workers switch jobs within and across industries, a career conversion programme will be expanded to more sectors like pharmaceuticals, logistics and retail. And for older workers, the re-employment age ceiling will be raised to 67 on July 1 next year.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
richardg
Arofanatic

sounds good in theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Singapore will introduce several measures to help jobless citizens find work and encourage employers to hire them. Companies with ...
next year.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
sounds good in theory
At least they have some plans. Better than sitting doing nothing.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
At least they have some plans. Better than sitting doing nothing.
yes that is so.

Anyone with experience?
So far only heard grumbles, they offer jobs like waitering to professionals.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Homester
Senior Dragon

Just curious, which industries and which level of employees they are targeting ?

General workers, PMETs or ?????
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
vincent2982
Dragon

Employer nd to chg mindset to use local. Example, in my IT class, many study IT to switch career, however even when they get their cert, they had a hard time getting job. Why, cos employer unwilling to give chance to non experience ppl. Gov dump in so much $ to mk Singaporean to reskill them self to switch career path, but ultimately is employer who is unwilling to employer fresh grad. Den they complain unable to find ppl. My opinion , if employer dun give chance, how are we gg to increase number of experience staff in this line, after sometime when they cannot find job, they give up. Den gov waste $
vincent2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Homester
Senior Dragon

Bro, you are right in a way.

Gov shld do more to help the mid level employees or those with specialty instead of controlling across the board........

How many locals are willing to do jobs like Cleaners, general workers, lorry Drivers/attendants, F&B and jobs which require them to sweat or toll under Hot/warm conditions ?
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
vincent2982
Dragon

Instead of forcing employer to take in more local, they should also educate n encourage employer to employ certified newbie. Den we newbie can work gain experiance n upgrade further. Den employment rate go up.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
vincent2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
stargazer
Dragon

Yes. Employers do play a very big part. I would say the employers are patriotic in a way if they are willing to hire local PMETs who are switching skills or starting afresh..
Old 11-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon

If we look at business cost, employers needs to make profit! If one of your biggest cost is labour, would you pick the lowest cost highest productivity, or would you pick being patriotic? Not forgetting, Singapore is VERY cost sensitive. 1 cent 1 cent count.

Yes, I do agree, from an employee standpoint, I want to be hired and I too think I should have higher priority over foreigners. That's from an local employee standpoint.

From employee standpoint, employers should change mindset, be willing to train me and willing to employ me with lesser reservation.

There are 'Prince and Princess' out there. Cannot scold cannot push type. Tam po tam po, will complaint. Tolerance level is low. And suka suka will change job for higher pay even if the foundation isn't that solid yet. The world owes them a living type.

How do employers balance? Yes, they should be encouraged. But they have a dedicatedly thin profit, where is the buffer?

Does the gov set by example? Since one particular MP has been harping on Cleaners salary lately, why don't all Town Councils and gov sector employs local cleaners or ensure their contractors only use locals? See how much cost goes up.

And gov shd remove the lowest cost priority in tenders. They should.... I just saw... 1 evaluation criteria 70% priority on PRICE. PRICE, mind you, PRICE. You make profit, they will squeeze you. You lost money, your problem, next tender change vendor. You die your problem, so long as the persons justifying has an easier time.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote