Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 15-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
aboySG

Default Unusually Quiet Behavior (Taiwan Reef)

Hi,

I got 2 7cm Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" in my 3 FT Malawi Cichlid Community tank for 8 months. They are Extremely inactive and Literally motionless in a corner of the tank (Except during feeding time). They have also remain the same size for the past 8 months

They are the only species in the tank displaying such behavior.

Despite their adnormal behavior - they are in perfect health, show good coloration and excellent appetite. There are only occasional squabbles among some of the tankmates but none directed at the 2 Taiwan Reefs. The other fishes are of similiar or smaller size.

Is this quiet behavior normal for the "Steveni Taiwan" species or is there anything wrong with them ?

Thanks.
Old 17-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Venustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboySG View Post
Hi,

I got 2 7cm Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" in my 3 FT Malawi Cichlid Community tank for 8 months. They are Extremely inactive and Literally motionless in a corner of the tank (Except during feeding time). They have also remain the same size for the past 8 months

They are the only species in the tank displaying such behavior.

Despite their adnormal behavior - they are in perfect health, show good coloration and excellent appetite. There are only occasional squabbles among some of the tankmates but none directed at the 2 Taiwan Reefs. The other fishes are of similiar or smaller size.

Is this quiet behavior normal for the "Steveni Taiwan" species or is there anything wrong with them ?

Thanks.
Taiwan Reef is a shy and peaceful Malawi cichlid. They are not a large fish and growth rate also depends on the tank size and diet.
In a community tank, most times Taiwan Reef may look inactive but they are more likely to exhibit the behaviour of minding their own business. So no worries.
What matters most is Malawis must always be hungry as it means they are healthy and they must be regularly well fed to reduce the level of aggression.
Btw, imo 3ft tank is small for a Malawi community tank.
As they grow they need lots of open swimming spaces and constant supplies of fresh and well-aerated water
Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Spakase

I've kept this fish before and they are active swimmers. I think it's okay that they hide as long as they are not stressed to the point that they cannot eat. Check that the fins are not bitten and colours are vibrant. This is a beautiful fish to own.