Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 19-07-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
pinkfloyd777

Default dolphin c-700

hi guys, kindly help to suggest.. my cousin bought a dolphin c-700 canister filter for his new 4x2x2 tank. tank still empty, plan to keep aro. since i use ohf filters for my set-up, i can't really advise him well.

question: what are the recommended medias to use in the canister filter? and the level of arrangements? (see below to suggest)

ceramic rings, what are the difference between coarse and smooth?

bioballs, can fit or not? since limited space in canister

activated carbon, is it true have to monitor and change, if not careful can become harmful to your fish, so a bit troublesome?

??? what else

tks for all response.
Old 21-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
pinkfloyd777

anyone? waiting for 2 days already no response....
Old 22-07-2004, 04:51 AM   #3
rayong@mac.com

I have the C700. Its a good filter for my tank, a 2.5 footer. I don't think its adequate for a 4 x 2 x 2. It is rated at 700 L/H. Whereas your tank is about 432 litres. You need 3 x filtration per hour. Hence something like a 1200 L/H or higher filter.

However, you requested what media to put in. I have coarse sponge and on top of that fine wool hence making the bottom tray the mechanical filter. In 2nd tray on top of that sintered glass rings, its like ceramic rings but made of sintered glass. On top of that on the last 1 cm or so another layer of fine foam.

The fine foam is made by Sera. I put the coarse sponge and fine wool in bottom try to filter as much of particulate matter in order to not clog up the pores in the sintered glass.

Don't recommend charcoal either cos it needs to be removed after 1 month. Plan on cleaning the filter only once ever 2 or 3 months.
Old 22-07-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
rayong@mac.com

I would add that the C700 however, does seem to filter more than 700 L/H. I have OHFs that are rated at 700 L/H and the C700 definitely moves more water. You can give it a try to see if it is adequate. But if it can't handle the volume, ie you see the water cloudy or the fish swimming close to the surface then get a second filter to back up the C700. 2 filters will give you some redundancy if one konks out.

I feel adequate filtration depends not only on volume of tank but also the bio load the filter is required to handle. It should be able to handle a reasonably large Aro before it outgrows the capability of the filter. It only has 2 trays, but they are pretty deep trays.
Old 22-07-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
rayong@mac.com

Don't use bio balls. Aside from having small surface area for the BB it is not suited for the canister. Bio balls work best in a wet/dry setup. You would be looking at coarse ceramic rings or those made of sintered glass or biohome for bio filtration.
Old 23-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
pinkfloyd777

tks rayong for the sharing of info...its enuff for the moment, now i'm off to my cousin's place. exactly wat i need somebody who use the xact brand/model.

hope my cousin can do an exchange to a bigger canister or switch to ohf wif the lfs he bought that from.

tks again bro, cheers....
Old 24-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
rayong@mac.com

For a tank that size recommend you use a canister rather than OHF. See if shop will take back C700 if not used yet and upgrade him to a more powerful one. Something like the Jebao 618 or the new Jebo 358 (latest model).
Old 17-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
mnoor
Arofanatic

This C700 filter must be very old version. The newer one is CF700 I believe as I can't get a review of C700.
mnoor is offline   Reply With Quote